The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my Fluval Edge. I have sen threads here that have had some pretty good modifications and upgrades for the Edge, but I cannot find anything locally largely because I do not know what to look for. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my Fluval Edge. I have sen threads here that have had some pretty good modifications and upgrades for the Edge, but I cannot find anything locally largely because I do not know what to look for. Can someone here point me in the right direction?
MR11s LED Lights,ebay:
[Ebay Link Removed]
look on ebay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're going for a high WPG planted tank, Hamilton Beach sells a 27W CFL lamp that you can mod and put in the hood of the Edge. I believe these are available at Home Depot. I was considering doing this until I traded my Edge in for a Finnex 4g.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can also get the MR11s on amazon for a pretty good price. If you go to amazon and search for the fluvial edge, then look at the list of items "frequently purchased with" you will see the exact bulbs you need.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you who replied! I am currently looking into the options posted here, and will post photos of my Edge once it is upgraded.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wetworks,

when I got my Fluval Edge last Christmas, I wanted to upgrade the lighting so I went about the upgrade as quick as I could.

The first thing I did was locate a local lighting company (look for a place that sells to local businesses) to pick up mr16 sockets. The reason for this is so you can utilize both mr16 and mr11 lights (it gives you a lot more options lightbulb-wise).

The install was easy, just a few cuts and a few wire screws and your good to go.

Next step was ordering mr16 led light bulbs from http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=52

Make sure to look for bulbs that are NOT open face, the evaporation will destroy open face bulbs really quick. The other option to prevent this is get a small piece of glass cut and simply lay it on top of the Edge's opening.

The final step was purchasing and installing a CFL fixture in the hood on the swing arm. I opted for a 10w Coral Life 50/50 bulb. Individual preferences will dictate, but I didn't want too much light and the blue make a pretty nightlight.

I picked up a simple socket and (grounded) plug from Home depot for about $12 total and simply zip-tied the socket to the swing arm for the lighting. It was a tight fit with the socket I got but it worked great.

Hope you find this helpful and good luck on your lighting mod :thumbsup:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hagen is also going to start selling MR-11 bulbs (with splash covers) as a retrofit... guess they figured out what everyone was already doing and decided to cash in.

Additionally, the new EDGE that is coming out is going to have a kickass LED lightbar, I pestered Hagen and it was confirmed that the lightbar will be available as a replacement part at some point in the future. See The Official Edge Thread for more info about the new stuff coming available.

Also, the FluvalBlog for pics and such.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hagen is also going to start selling MR-11 bulbs (with splash covers) as a retrofit... guess they figured out what everyone was already doing and decided to cash in.

Additionally, the new EDGE that is coming out is going to have a kickass LED lightbar, I pestered Hagen and it was confirmed that the lightbar will be available as a replacement part at some point in the future. See The Official Edge Thread for more info about the new stuff coming available.

You can also buy the fluval led replacements right now through an online store in the UK. can't remember the name though.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have to say that I was having problems fitting both the MR16 led bulbs and the cfl on the swing arm.. I tried the zoomed ultra sun 10w 6500 k bulb but the base is a bit too big for the lid to fit on smoothly. I think I'm going to try building some sort of bracket over the opening and install 2 cfls and maybe some white leds just for extra brightness.

That's just my 2 cents, hope it helps. I have to say though, you really can't go wrong with getting some mr11 or mr16 LEDS off ebay :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wetworks,

when I got my Fluval Edge last Christmas, I wanted to upgrade the lighting so I went about the upgrade as quick as I could.

The first thing I did was locate a local lighting company (look for a place that sells to local businesses) to pick up mr16 sockets. The reason for this is so you can utilize both mr16 and mr11 lights (it gives you a lot more options lightbulb-wise).

The install was easy, just a few cuts and a few wire screws and your good to go.

Next step was ordering mr16 led light bulbs from http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=52

Make sure to look for bulbs that are NOT open face, the evaporation will destroy open face bulbs really quick. The other option to prevent this is get a small piece of glass cut and simply lay it on top of the Edge's opening.

The final step was purchasing and installing a CFL fixture in the hood on the swing arm. I opted for a 10w Coral Life 50/50 bulb. Individual preferences will dictate, but I didn't want too much light and the blue make a pretty nightlight.

I picked up a simple socket and (grounded) plug from Home depot for about $12 total and simply zip-tied the socket to the swing arm for the lighting. It was a tight fit with the socket I got but it worked great.

Hope you find this helpful and good luck on your lighting mod :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting your reply. I will be getting the materials to do the CFL this weekend, and will hopefully be able to at least upgrade with the LEDs. I will post my results when I do. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Very cool. Thanks for the updated info and the links.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts