The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted to buy the new Fluval Edge (12 gallon) but am not sure if the new LED lighting will be able to grow light - medium plants.

Was thinking of Eco-Complete as a substrate and 2 dwarf Puffers and a Otos for algae.

I have the older Edge (6 gallon) and getting the replacement LEDs will cost 35 - 40 bucks.

The 12 gallon Edge is priced at 200 , do you guys think I should just go with an ADA rimless tank T5 lighting?

·
Registered
119 Posts
$200 for the 12g Edge? I'd rather get a nice ADA tank + accessories for that kind of money. Their new LED lighting will undoubtedly be either proprietary or a PITA to find replacements/options for. That and it's hard enough scaping in my shallow 6g Edge, I don't want to even think about the arthritis inducing, back cramping positions you're going to have to hold to get stuff in there...god forbid you accidentally drop something and need to retrieve from down there too...

They should have just upscaled the original Edge design and widened the access hole.

:edit:

I've found them on Amazon for $180 with free shipping, but that's still more than what I'd personally be willing to pay for one.

·
Welcome to Algaeville
161 Posts
$200 for the 12g Edge? I'd rather get a nice ADA tank + accessories for that kind of money. Their new LED lighting will undoubtedly be either proprietary or a PITA to find replacements/options for. That and it's hard enough scaping in my shallow 6g Edge, I don't want to even think about the arthritis inducing, back cramping positions you're going to have to hold to get stuff in there...god forbid you accidentally drop something and need to retrieve from down there too...

They should have just upscaled the original Edge design and widened the access hole.

:edit:

I've found them on Amazon for $180 with free shipping, but that's still more than what I'd personally be willing to pay for one.
+1

I also have the 6 gallon edge and ended up swapping out the sockets and bulbs to accommodate MR16 LED's. One thing I have learned - All in one setups are not ideal. I'd definitely go with the ADA set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts