The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a Fluval Chi 5 gallon tank. I just bought the Penguin® 75 BIO-Wheel® Power Filter along with the elive led grow light. I also have a Tera heater that is for 5-15 gallon tanks. I am wanting to focus on moss and ferns to do a low tech tank. With no animals what so ever.
But I have no idea what type of substrate is good, if I need any fertlizer and if so what kinds are good, do i need water conditioner still, and do I have to wait to set up to the tank? Any advice? And will these two be good enough for my tank?
I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm only a college student but doing this really interests me and I eventually want to go bigger. I appreciate any answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the advice! And by waiting I meant one of the guys at the aquarium store said I had to let my water cycle and such like I did when I had fish before I put plants in. Do I still do that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey thanks for the advice! And by waiting I meant one of the guys at the aquarium store said I had to let my water cycle and such like I did when I had fish before I put plants in. Do I still do that?
No you don't have to cycle a tank for plants.
It's actually easier to plant everything then carefully fill the tank with dechlorinated water. If you go with a substrate that has nutrients like aquasoil, having the plants already will help with limiting algae.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Picking a good enriched substrate is a good way to start the tank, as mentioned by BettaBettas, ADA Amazonia aquasoil is a good one. You can try EI dosing, I use osmocote + root tabs and Excel myself. My plants' growth isnt the fastest but it filled in

1 - 5 of 5 Posts