The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I am new to this hobby (expensive i realize now) and this is my my first aquascaping attempt. I do have a bigger (my first) aquarium which is kind of a jungle with many different plants that i bought, traded with other members and it has no real scape. I wanted to do a scape similar to iwagumi style but mountain look where rocks are straight, not tilted. My goal is to try to keep this as simple as possible with least amount of plant varieties. I will attempt a dry start for the first time as well.

I have only few months of experience keeping aquarium and been doing a lot of reading and talking to the local members as well. So it has been pretty exiting and been getting a lot of help.

So, here is what i have so far.

Hardware:
Tank: Fluval Chi 5GL
Filter: Aquaclear 20
Light: BeamsWork Bright LED Clamp-on Light Fixture 11"
Heater: None (For now)
CO2: None (For now)

Hardscape:
Seiryu Stone
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Lava Rock

Flora:
1-HM Hemianthus micranthemoides
2-Staurogyne Repens
3-HC (Hemianthus Callitrichoides)
3-UG (Utricularia Graminifolia)
4-Fissidens Fontanus

Fauna:
To be decided

Ferts:
Excel
CSMB Micro Solution

Here is a quick sketch i did for layout. Used the shape of rocks i have to determine where they can go. Should have a hardscape soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
You can easily achieve light levels good enough for any plant with a clip on shop light with 6600k spiral CFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
477 Posts
Salman I would try that light. Looks good for a small tank. Finnex ray 2 might be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So, I got everything and trying out a few different layouts. I am using lava rocks under the Seiryu Stones to make it more stable. Trying to set these stones in a way that aqua soil does not slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you aren't using the stock filter/light contraption get a razor blade and get rid of that gross bit of plastic on the back of the tank. It comes off easily enough.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you aren't using the stock filter/light contraption get a razor blade and get rid of that gross bit of plastic on the back of the tank. It comes off easily enough.
Agreed, removed the plastic piece from the back. It took less than a minute. I am using HOB filter so i don't need that.

I selected the HC for the foreground plant. Some of it wasn't in good shape when i received it in mail so i didn't have enough to fill more space but it looks okay for a dry start..

Day 1:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts