The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I only hate the smaller ones, I've never tried the G-series. FX5 is the greatest thing i ever bought ever. It has a great load, it automatically releases air, and great capacity to handle large amounts of nitrifying bacteria and you can adjust the flow. The only problem I had with the smaller ones is there a pain to start and clean. Other than that they work great and the plastic they're made out of is better.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have a 404 and 304 on my 75. The 404 is 2 years old and the 304 is 4 years with no problems from either. This forum isn't too kind to them either at times. I understand some people have bad experiences with them but then you regularly see posts of people who have issues with Eheims and Renas also. I think a lot of the negative comments about them are just based on what someone has read and involves no hands on experience.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yea i have a 305 and a 405 and love them both. Very easy maintenance, lots of room for media, easy to change media baskets and i'm not worried about the quick disconnects breaking like on the eheims. The only downside i see to them is the ribbed hosing, which is actually pretty good, flexible, and doesn't crimp, but you have to replace it if you want to add in-line things like a reactor or a in-line heater etc.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have the 405 and the FX5. They are great, no problems at all. I beleive they are a great buy for the money.

I have seen threads about fluval not being good and those are usually from people which have had experience with ehiem or renas. They became accustomed to those and don't like the differences with the Fluval. They usually try Fluval because of the price.

Every filter has its own way of doing things (priming, opening, restarting, etc) and pro's and con's.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
It's been years since I owned a fluval, and it was junk. It was nearly impossible to get apart to clean, and it wouldn't restart until you shook it. It also had some auto-plunger-siphon feature that never worked.

It's only one data point, but I'm no fan. I've had a few eheim classics, and never had any problems. Even back when they didn't call classics the classics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fluval canisters are a nightmare ,the water coming in from the tank to the filter does not really go through the filter material ( the carbon ,etc ) the sponges are so so. i had a fluval 403 that was running for about 6 months then the shutoff valves just blew appart and no body was home when it happened needless to mention almost all of 55 gallons of water was all over the place . lucky for the fish that the water inlet tube stopped sucking water in at about 1/4 off the bottom of the tank . i purchased an eheime filter what a difference ,the eheime filters more water and the water gets filtered through all the filter material . no problems with the eheime valves or changing the carbon . get an eheime they are worth the price.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have been running a 203? Or is it a 202? Maybe a 201? on my turtle tank for almost 15 years. It is the energizer bunny of canister filters......
On the other had I had a 405 on my 90 for about a year and a half and while it did push some major water it was noisy and very cheaply made. I got rid of it when I did some maintenance and broke the impellar shaft. I replaced it with a 2217 and have never been happier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.