The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10g tank that will be my quarantine tank (bare bottom java moss) I need a very good filter, and in my search I came across the Fluval C Series, specifically the C2. It sounds like a canister filter in a HOB's body. The only draw back I came across was the media was expensive and hard to come across.

Review: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/a-review-of-the-fluval-c2-hob-filter-132210.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-14001-F..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S1VCV93JKN1BEENCA46

If anyone has a comment please post it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 10g tank that will be my quarantine tank (bare bottom java moss) I need a very good filter, and in my search I came across the Fluval C Series, specifically the C2. It sounds like a canister filter in a HOB's body. The only draw back I came across was the media was expensive and hard to come across.

Review: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/a-review-of-the-fluval-c2-hob-filter-132210.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-14001-F..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S1VCV93JKN1BEENCA46

If anyone has a comment please post it.
Thanks!
I have 2 fluval C3s on the back of my 36 gallon bowfront ,so I can give my take of these .
Flow wise they are great . They have the ability to add your own media . I use a little mesh bag I got from amazon to add my own carbon, and for cut my own filter floss from a marineland brand sheet I got from petsmart .
But that where My glowing review ends , as These 2 filters are just not quite good enough for my needs ( moving to a ehiem canister)
My water is ok but not great . The filter uses a little bit of ceramic media in a trickle filter config and while that works , thier is just not enough of it to make of any real effect . From looking at the ACs in compairision, their biological media chamber is 2x as big , so if a HOB filter is your game, then I would go with a AC or look into a cheep canister for a 10 gallon.
mabe something like this ??
http://www.amazon.com/PX-360-All---...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1315620630&sr=1-3

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm kind of going with brothergc's post. No doubt the C series is a good filter which lives up to Hagen standards. I've had AC's for years and never had any problems- same for the my C3 which I've had for a year and a half (on a 10g). The AC's do have better capacity. The C series is very compartmentalized. Everything fits perfectly into place, but there's not a lot of room for media customization. You can cram in some Seachem Purigen (the smallest prefilled bag they make) into the main chamber, as needed, to clear your water.

I definitely do not regret "upgrading" from an AC to C3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I guess will add another part: If you could, would you buy one again?
No I would not , I would have put my money into a cansiter and saved in the long run

if HOB is what you crave then a AC would be my choice
But if you are going to get a Fluval , I would look at the C3 , the C2 would be too little IMO maybe even a C4 and run it on low , that way the bigger media chambers would give you better filtration

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Aquaclears all the way. I love them and wouldn't use any other HOB filter. Stuffing the media box with whatever you want makes it the next best thing to a canister. On my 20 gal long, I was running a canister but I split the tank with 2 dividers to make 3 sections. Even though the dividers have holes, the flow from the canister wasn't getting around the tank, any with only 1 intake, it wasn't cleaning very well. I switched to 3 aquaclear 20's, sponge prefilter on the intake for shrimp, cut down sponge inside, lots of bio media, purigen on top, plus 3 sponge filters in each area as well and my tank is so clear you could drink from it. My aquaclear 300 that I have is about 6 years old and still runs great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for all the comments, sounds like the old AC is the way to go, probably AC 30. I did want to know though, is the Tom Rapid mini canister filter any good cause it is $25, but I heard it lacked flow.

I'd go with the AC30, 50 even... I owned the mini canister and IMO it was poorly made and it ended up breaking and leaking after only a week. I heard they were good thus me buying one so maybe I just got a lemon.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I like AquaClears a lot. I have several of them, most stuffed with basic filter floss. My rule of thumb is to buy an AC rated for at least twice the tank size (AC20 on a 10g, AC50 on a 20g). Works for me. And filter cleaning is easy - just pull the whole basket, dump it in the water change bucket, squeeze, swish, repeat, and replace.

Amazon.com is the cheapest place I've found for AC's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.