The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run crushed coral in some of my C series HOB's in the media basket . I don't like to use the bags cause they clog so fast , so I just cut pieces of plastic canvas and slide it over the front and back large holes in the basket and filled the area in between with the coral . Works like a charm and never clogs . Could do this with carbon or any loose media .

Reactions: BrassFinger

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found some open mesh draw string media bags that won't clog but they are pretty large (6"x8" at least) and that leaves too much empty bag hanging out to allow the drip chamber to sit down properly so I just placed the bag in the holder, filled it with Matrix and cut off the rest of the bag that was hanging out. I have enough bag left over to sew it up and make another one.

Chris

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I use nylon stockings to make media bags. Finer materials do not pass through, but the water goes through just fine.
I can cut a knee-hi stocking into 2 or 3 bags. Larger filters (canisters, Aquaclear 110) use half a knee hi, or even 2 such bags. Smaller filters (most other HOB filters) use 1-2 of the smaller bags.
Nylon stockings are pretty stretchy, but if the filter has a large surface area or several compartments (Fluval canisters, for example, have divided baskets, and Filstars have large flat baskets) so it takes a couple of bags to make sure the water flows through the media.

I do not run AC, but I have used these media bags for peat moss, coral sand, and oyster shell grit.
I use rubber bands to close off the peat moss, and when the rubber band rots it is time to put in new peat moss. (The rotting rubber band has no effect on the tank)
I use zip ties to close off longer lasting media.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.