The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fluval 406 canister filter in my planted aquarium. Every time I clean it (every 3 weeks), the flow slows down significantly after about a week of being cleaned. When I first received my filter and set it up, it about shot water out of the aquarium because of its power. Now, even directly after cleaning, the flow is a lot slower, and worsens within a week. I have cleaned out my impeller several times and checked the tubing, yet I cant figure out what's wrong. I also hear some people clean out their filters every 3 or even 6 months. Should I not be cleaning mine so often? Anybody have similar issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check to see if the impeller cover has warped. If it does not form a good seal the impeller will be pushing water back into the filter box, rather than though the pipes where you want it. You will probably find that it is slightly U shaped. If you find that this is the case, then you can correct it by heating the cover in some freshly boiled water, bending it back to the correct shape ( slightly over doing it so as to form a good seal when it is back in place ), and then holding it under the cold tap until the plastic goes hard again. When dunking in the hot water, hold by the clip so as this part of the cover does not get hot. 20 to 30 seconds is all you need in the hot water to soften the plastic. Probably caused by the filter getting too hot. Hope this is of help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.