The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fluval 406 and with carbon filters in it (the one's fluval sells) and I've been reading that carbon is bad for a planted tank because it takes out trace minerals that are necessary for plants.

My question: What do you have in your canisters. I have a 56 dirtied planted tank with angelfish and I wanted to make sure I had the apporiate biomedia in the canisters, like should I have peat in their etc etc and in what order.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a fluval 406 and with carbon filters in it (the one's fluval sells) and I've been reading that carbon is bad for a planted tank because it takes out trace minerals that are necessary for plants.

My question: What do you have in your canisters. I have a 56 dirtied planted tank with angelfish and I wanted to make sure I had the apporiate biomedia in the canisters, like should I have peat in their etc etc and in what order.

from bottom up..

1. prefilter
2. bio ring with eheim substrat
3. matrix and fine filter (matrix on the bottom) ..i add a small bag of peat graual in this chamber

works well

never use carbon for well over a year in any of my tanks

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Invest in ceramic media for biological filtration.
Depend on the filter for water movement.

If you have a planted tank 80% of the issue is already taken care of regarding the buildup of waste/poo and bacteria colonization/cycle.

You'll still have to pull out some old water once in while, as proteins can build up in the water.

Haven't used carbon in... 3 years?

Carbon is good after medicating a tank with any issues.
Would suggest it for any super sensitive fish...
Peat is a question of your ph, which should be around 7.2 in Brooklyn.
You can bring it down with peat, but your angels should be alright in 7.0

-Gordon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmoobthor- Thanks for the information, I see the peat granules..are loose so I need to buy a bag for it then add the bag..correct and does it go matrix, peat, fine filter or matrix, fine filter, peat?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hmoobthor- Thanks for the information, I see the peat granules..are loose so I need to buy a bag for it then add the bag..correct and does it go matrix, peat, fine filter or matrix, fine filter, peat?
I have the peat in a fine bag...one that you can buy $1 at petsmart...i keep a small amount in there to see the result....

I put it below the fine filter...i only use a small portion and do notice it went from 7.8 to 7.4. ...really nice I haven't took it out since 07/12.

I know my ph is pretty high but since i stop dosing fert all my tank ph is @7.4.... maybe it wasn't the peat..because i only use it on my tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a WC yesterday and the PH in my tank went from a 7 to a 6. (Without peat) tested the tap and the tap is 6.6. ( I think hurricane sandy messed with NYC tap water, it has never been below 7 before). Right now I'm trying to increase my PH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.