The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob to the forums here,

I purchased a fluval 405 for a 50 gal about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and set it up per the instructional video. It is the only filter on this tank. There are no air pumps with bubblers or anything like that.

It has been running nonstop since and doing something that I did not expect. About every 1 to 3 minutes it will make a gurgling sound and a couple of seconds later it will spit out a cloud of tiny bubbles. The end of my intake hose is 6 inches under water, not the end of the intake but the end of the HOSE. The return hose is about 3 inches under the surface. I can't imagine the air getting in there.

So, is this definitely a leak at the canister, maybe a pinhole in the intake hose, or could there be biological activity in the filter generating this much gas?

There is one layer of charcoal and 3 layers of biomax in the filter. This tank was a fish-only tank for a couple of years and then I added some java moss, java fern, and vals. It was home to only these 3 types of plants for another couple of years and has always been loaded with fish. There's a fair amount of detritus in the 3 to 4 inch layer of medium to large gravel.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You're on the right track; there's a small leak somewhere in the intake, and air is getting sucked in.

I just had that issue on a tank I moved with an Eheim; an O-ring on the intake wasn't sealing quite right, and air was getting sucked in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had my Fluval 405 for a couple of years and I noticed that it does the exact same thing every once in a while. I just figured there was an air bubble building up in the filter that would "explode" every so often. Does'nt seem to cause any harm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts