The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a great deal on a Fluval 405(a step up from the 304 I had on)
So far I'm really liking it, very quiet.
My 304 was trapping air that took quite a while to work out, and made a lil noise.
So here's my question(s)
Opinions on Fluvals in general
Is this enough flow for a 75g?
Would you add both 405 and 304?(I'd really like to ditch the 304 to reduce noise and keep clean/simple)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let me put it this way. I have a 305 on my 29 and I have been toying with the idea of adding a power head lately to increase the flow. I consider my tank heavily planted.

If your tank is heavily planted, you may want more flow than what the 405 offers. Plug it in and try it out. See if your water movement is good and go from there.

Be sure to transfer the bio media from your 304 to the new filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did make sure to transfer.
Right now my tank has Val, cobunca, anubis,onion, micro sword, and thats it, keeping mellow till I add C02 which wasn't initial plan.
I've been into reeftanks for a long time, coming back into FW/planted and like the new challenge, just need to learn a little more up to date info.
I was thinking of adding a PH for more flow, I have a few, and it would be nice and quiet.
This is my bedroom tank, so noise is an issue.
I'm loving how quiet this new Fluval is compared to the old one.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
While the specs on the box may say one filer is enough for your aquarium size, IMO you cannot go wrong by "overfiltering" but can by underfiltering.

I personally run two filters on my 72 gal, each of which supposedly is enough on their own: an Eheim 2028 and a Rena XP3. I recommend you consider two filters, that 405 and perhaps a second one or another one just one "notch" below the 405 in size. Not only do you have a good redundancy against one filter either stop working but if you develop some kind of leak issue on one the tank can survive for a few days running the other while you repair the filter with the issue. You can also alternately switch out which one you clean out. I change pads and rinse the media every other week on one, then 2 weeks later the other. This helps to maintain the beneficial bacteria levels since only one is cleaned out at a time. Also, the extra filter gives more complete flow and water movement which helps CO2 distribution around the tank. CO2 not properly distributed is likely 90% of the reason people get BBA issues.

For my first year I only had thre 2028 and thought all was good. I added a second filter when I decided to put an inline heater on the 2028 and an inline PVC CO2 reactors on the second filter. The next day the water was so crystal clear it looked like the fish were swimming in mid-air. It was a huge difference.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input.
I didn't think media needed to be cleaned so often?
But it seems you know what you're doing judging by your tank link, very nice.
I'll tell ya, bump from 304-405 is a very noticeable diff, my val looks like it's blowin in the wind!
I have to wonder would more flow tear it up?
Then again, I don't see much Val in exp peeps tanks, so maybe that's very much a noob plant?
I'm still leaning towards PH over a 2nd canister if I want to just add more flow.
I could just keep the 304 for backup, but as it is I have 4 tanks and enough backup gear to have a garage sale.
Any more opinions out there?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have a 404 and 304 on my 75. I have a reactor plumbed inline with the 404 and can't imagine it providing enough flow on its own, especially with the reactor. As your biomass increases you'll need more flow, IMO. If you don't want to run the old filter in addition, I'd go with a Koralia powerhead.

I've had fluvals for over 20 years with no problems. I've found them quiet and reliable and never had a reason to change.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let me put it this way. I have a 305 on my 29 and I have been toying with the idea of adding a power head lately to increase the flow. I consider my tank heavily planted.

If your tank is heavily planted, you may want more flow than what the 405 offers. Plug it in and try it out. See if your water movement is good and go from there.

Be sure to transfer the bio media from your 304 to the new filter.

I should aslo add that I have a reactor plumbed in-line on the 305. That is the culprit of the reduction of flow in my tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts