The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today a friend offered me a used Fluval 305 for only $25. I would like to use it on my 20 gallon long. I'm only a couple months into this hobby and I have no experience with canister filters.

What type of filter media should I use?
Anything else I should know before setting up?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Fluval

THat's a pretty freakin' good deal if all the parts are there and then, even if they're not, replacements are not too hard to get. A 305 usually retails $150+ in a store. I have a 405 and I love it :proud: - it's overkill on my 29G and really moves the water and mine is dialed down - the fish seems to like it though. Just make sure your plants are secure. You can buy media for it - it has 3 baskets divided into halves so you can have many combos of media. Carbon, biofilter ceramic (?) tubes, ammonia neutralizer, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THat's a pretty freakin' good deal if all the parts are there and then, even if they're not, replacements are not too hard to get. A 305 usually retails $150+ in a store. I have a 405 and I love it :proud: - it's overkill on my 29G and really moves the water and mine is dialed down - the fish seems to like it though. Just make sure your plants are secure. You can buy media for it - it has 3 baskets divided into halves so you can have many combos of media. Carbon, biofilter ceramic (?) tubes, ammonia neutralizer, etc.
Yea I'm lucky that he's had it sitting around for a while, and just wants to get rid of it. It has all the parts and after a good cleaning it's ready to go. All i need to do is buy the filter media.

I was thinking of starting with bio filter and carbon. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
For filter media, I would fill it up with some kind of mechanical filtration first (i.e. coarse filter pad, ceramic tubes, or the like). Then, pack the rest with biomedia (sintered glass, etc), and then top off with some filter floss. There isn't really any need for carbon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts