The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I noticed my tank was a bit cloudy and it was time for a filter maintenance, so I checked the outflow and sure enough it was next to nothing. So into the bathroom I went and I cleaned every oraface nook and crany, I cleaned the intake and outflow pieces, took the impeller, shaft and magnet out and cleaned out the hole they fit in, the only thing I didn't change out was the bio rings and the carbon sack as I don't have a replacement bag for the carbon and obv don't need new bio media on a 6 week old filter...any ideas on what the problem is???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe a pinched or clogged hose?

Other than that, I can only suggest that you prime it well and maybe rock it to the side to let any air bubbles out. Sometimes if its not primed well it wont flow. Be careful with that priming plunger.. the "stick" can break and you will be left pinching it with a pair of pliers when you need to use it. That's if you are lucky and don't break it off inside. That's from experience with my 206. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Maybe a pinched or clogged hose?

Other than that, I can only suggest that you prime it well and maybe rock it to the side to let any air bubbles out. Sometimes if its not primed well it wont flow. Be careful with that priming plunger.. the "stick" can break and you will be left pinching it with a pair of pliers when you need to use it. That's if you are lucky and don't break it off inside. That's from experience with my 206. :)

Thank you, I've tried priming a few different times and the jiggling trick :/...I'm going to test the flow rate in a 5 gallon bucket as soon as I get the chance...hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is.

Any other tips/tricks are more than welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are certain that nothing is blocked you may want to inspect the impeller cover. After a while the impeller cover bends out of shape losing the tight seal against the impeller well it once had when it was new. This issue will certainly cause the output flow to slow down considerably.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are certain that nothing is blocked you may want to inspect the impeller cover. After a while the impeller cover bends out of shape losing the tight seal against the impeller well it once had when it was new. This issue will certainly cause the output flow to slow down considerably.

I have been through everything and no blockages, I can't tell about the cover for sure, but on a less than 2 month old filter new out of the box, I hope it isn't worn out anywhere...anyone know about fluval's warranty?

·
Registered
534 Posts
My first guess is the media. A bucket test would rule this out. There could also be a kink or pinch in the lines, but you would notice that with a visual inspection.

Is the filter quiet?

Test with a small tank or bucket, with and without media.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first guess is the media. A bucket test would rule this out. There could also be a kink or pinch in the lines, but you would notice that with a visual inspection.

Is the filter quiet?

Test with a small tank or bucket, with and without media.

That's exactly what I thought with the media i'm going to do the bucket test with and without tomorrow thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Be sure not to put filter floss or any bags on the top most basket. The lid that covers the top basket has one hole and if any of the previous gets sucked up and covers that hole it will severely restrict the flow.
I used filter floss in the top basket and after 1 week the flow was nothing. The floss had sucked up in the hole and filtered so well the floss was plugged with debris. The rest of the basket floss was clean. I put the floss in the second basket and keep the bio media in the top.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those little black prefilter sponges clog pretty easy, seems easy but maybe check those?

Are you talking about the first kind of egg crate esque one? Or the small one that came below the carbon bag?...I feel like the one below the carbon bag is a bit worn already, it started to come apart, maybe I should take it out, or I have some filter pads I can cut to size, what do u guys think?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you talking about the first kind of egg crate esque one? Or the small one that came below the carbon bag?...I feel like the one below the carbon bag is a bit worn already, it started to come apart, maybe I should take it out, or I have some filter pads I can cut to size, what do u guys think?

The ones below the carbon. Just take them out and squeeze them out in the faucet. Since they're a much finer sponge you'll have to keep up with cleaning them or ditch them for something else like you said.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that is my guess as to what's slowing it down...sorry I haven't been able to work on it yet, I just had a baby last night so I'm not home til tomorrow :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I gave it a good few minutes of squeezing and swishing around in the old filter water( didn't want to kill the bacteria I worked so hard to cultivate...it literally took 3-4 months to cycle a 29 gallon!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.