The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to hear some experiences with these canister filters. I see a lot of people using the 2213 on this site. How do you clean the eheim as the different medias seem to just be loaded in the canister in layers, as with the fluval it has media baskets that seem to be easier to clean/operate with etc.

One of these will be going onto my 20 gallon tank. Right now from my research I'm leaning towards the fluval 205 as I like the media basket idea and its "ease of use" sound.

The upside of the 2213 is it can handle 66 gallons and is cheaper as the fluval 205 can only go up to 40 gallons. That isn't a real big issue to me because if I do upgrade to a bigger tank it will most likely be no bigger than 40 gallons.

I guess an eheim 2222 would be more of the same price/style/gallon rating as the fluval 205 option. The fluval has 3 baskets compared to eheims 2. I like how eheim has a spray bar out flow though lol. Damn to many choices.

thanks

also how would you go about introducing it to an established tank? I was thinking just let it run a few weeks with my HOB filter still operating? Will this cause any spikes in water parameters or anything?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think most people would try to use the 2213 on a tank as large as 66 gallons, although it IS often used on 20 gallons or so with very good results.

For ANY filter manufacturer, the size tank they state is usually the MAXIMUM under the very best conditions.

As used by most people, I usually cut the tank size rating in half.

Having said that, I am fond of the 2213, and have used one for years on a 30 gallon newt tank. It is almost completely silent, and only requires cleaning at very infrequent intervals.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I recommend a 2217 for a 60-gallon heavily planted tank. I have two on my 58-gallon planted tank...It's got a large bio-load of community fish, but I think that even a moderate bio-load can benefit from this kind of filtration.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I went to the local petsmarts and petco's since i know they sell these products....for way higher prices. But I managed to find a fluval 205 that was already open so I took it out and messed around with it. Pretty nifty setup. Nobody had any eheim classic filters but they did have the ecco 2232.

I think will get the 2213 since it does have a basket, its on petsmart.com for $69.99. http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...-C881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
Seems like a pretty cheap price compared to some other shops. Anyone know of a better deal?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow if you click the petsmart link to the eheim classics read what the output on the 2217 is. It'll literally blow you away and make you ask yourself whys my 2217 so junk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a 2217 on a 65-gal and the trick to keeping the media separate (you should use efimech for mechanical and efisubstrat for bio) is to use another product from eheim (the name escapes me) that looks like green Easter grass (no kidding). You put a layer of that between the two media and it keeps them nice and separate. I loved the 2217 for its simplicity and quality of construction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.