The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval 205 issue

1158 4
Hey there all. "newbie" to the forum. I recently pulled out my old tank and filter from the garage that sat for a few years. My canister filter turns on when plugged in, but just continues to grind away without actually starting up. I did the steps, primed it and it just won't get started. Maybe I'm missing some process or step, but wondering if anyone has any advice.

-Lee
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I find it important to go in a somewhat logical order and then divide things into smaller parts to sort it out. Two items here are flow through the filter and making the pump move the water. So I start with flow through to make sure there is not a clog, etc. stopping me. One way to do this test is to fill all the tank and tubes with water. One can do it sucking on the output while the input is in water. If water runs out when you place the output low, like on the floor, you know it's good on this.
Next is one of the most common problems, we hear/feel the impeller moving but no water comes out. This is often a problem of the impeller setting in a bubble of air and it WILL NOT pump air. Different filters use different methods to clear the air but one way is to tilt the canister and kind of "rotate/roll" it to let the air come out. If you do this while both in and out tubes are in water, you may see and hear a bunch of air come out and the flow should then jump up a bunch.
It's always worth checking that things are not totally broken but I normally find they don't run at all when truly broken or they make so much noise that it is obvious something is wrong.

·
snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
I have a Fluval 205 I'll be hooking up this weekend. Still new in the box and has sat under a tank it came with for about 15 years. I don't recall the other one giving me any problems, but it was interesting to see a thread on someone else using a filter that hasn't been made (well, called a 205) for over a decade. Hoping it gives you many good years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.