The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, have a few questions that i need to be answered :proud:

1. I have 10 RCS juvies (Have had them for about 3 days) in my tank and i do plan on breeding them when they are adults. My tank is a 15g planted with a Fluval 2 Internal filter. My question is, is it okay to cute a hole in a sponge bought from the dollar store and fit it into the intake of the filter? Would that idea be able to supply good water quality, output and keeping shrimplets safe? Now you may be wondering why don't i just buy a pre-filter max? The reason is because the tank is in my room and i dont want a loud airpump or HOB to disturb me in my sleep :icon_lol: but if its absolutely necessarily then i might consider buying one.

Heres a link to my filter http://www.aquariumguys.com/fluvalinternal1.html

2. When i feed my shrimps they don't seem to go as crazy for it as does the shrimps i see in videos and pictures, is this normal or are they just accumulating in the tank? I feed them Hikari algae wafers and blanched veggies. Some nip at it but only for about 5-10 seconds, then they just move on after wards. Is it normal for them to be scourging the gravel for food and move relatively slow or are they suppose to all hyper and jumping all over the place?

Any help is appreciated for this newbie shrimp keeper. Thanks :icon_wink

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Ricky! Not sure exactly what you are planning to do to cover that filter on its side. But if that one already have a sponge inside. The shrimp will no longer be able to get or sucked in. About your food. They may not like it very much that's why. Try other algae wafers for a change.Try shirakura or mosura brands. Omega one ( green color) looks pretty tasty for my shrimps. Try some veggies or fruits for a change. I used some before but be sure to wash them before you throw them in. Small amounts only and left overs should be removed. You are right, happy shrimps should be swimming around most of the time. If they stay on one place and show fading colors, there might be a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ricky! Not sure exactly what you are planning to do to cover that filter on its side. But if that one already have a sponge inside. The shrimp will no longer be able to get or sucked in. About your food. They may not like it very much that's why. Try other algae wafers for a change.Try shirakura or mosura brands. Omega one ( green color) looks pretty tasty for my shrimps. Try some veggies or fruits for a change. I used some before but be sure to wash them before you throw them in. Small amounts only and left overs should be removed. You are right, happy shrimps should be swimming around most of the time. If they stay on one place and show fading colors, there might be a problem.
Hey, yeah there's a sponge in the filter but i was just worried the shrimplets would be sucked in and be trapped.

I would give those recommendations you gave me a try but the only problem is i'll have to order it online and i dont know if my shrimps can wait week or two for quality food. How many times should i feed them a day and how long do i leave the food in there?

They do move around alot but slowly. They prefer to just "walk" than fly across the gravel.

Their colours are fine or at least they look normal.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Your shrimp may not be too hungry.
While they generally love the special foods, they can exist quite well on the micro organisms and algae in your tank. As to the sponge, as long as there is zero soap in it, you should be fine using it until you can get a better fitting solution. Do you have a woman you can ask for a clean used nylon stocking? Or pick up a pair at the dollar store. Make sure you rinse those well. A bit of stocking and a rubber band should keep the shrimp out of the filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of them seem to take an intrest now for the food which is good. 5 days and no deaths yet :icon_bigg. Just curious but um when i was watching them last night i saw one shrimp trying to jump upon another one, is this aggressive behavior? Also do they mind fast water flow or slow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts