The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know what everyones opinions and thoughts are on fluidized bed filters. I was thinking of building a DIY one out of acrylic to replace my junky HOB. But I wonder if it would be too much, I read One pound of sand is approximately able to handle 100 gallons of an average stocked aquarium. My fear is that it would be able to handle so much bio-load, that it would rob my plants of any nitrate and ammonia. But I have seen some articles that refer to FBF as the best choice for planted tanks, so I am a little puzzled on the subject. Maybe someone could shed some light on FBF and planted tanks.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
I haven't seen any articles or posts or users/members that claim FBF are the best choice for planted tanks. Their purpose of removing nitrates isn't beneficial in planted tanks, where you generally have to add nitrates. More drawbacks are that the sand could end up in your tank, and if it isn't completely inert might add some unwanted hardness to your water. So ask yourself... why?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm a big fan of fluidized sand filters, but not for plant tanks. For plant tanks, I think a filter's purpose is more mechanical than biological. The plant debris is problematic if it gets into the sand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts