The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Add me to the list of people with Flubal Ebi tanks broken during shipping. I checked my UPS tracking this morning and it says package undeliverable due to damage. ARG!

Seems like Fluval would learn to package these better.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Now now now. No trash talking.
I'm certain there are a few UPS and FedEx drivers here in the forum.

I'm certain they don't willingly break boxes.
It isn't just the drivers. Heck it probably isn't even primarily the drivers.

The barrier to entry to being a driver is much higher than it is to be a box loader at a distribution center.

When you hear some of the stories about people working part-time loading and unloading the trucks it sort of explains some things.

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
The UPS hub that would be delivering the item to kychris is based in Louisville (World Hub/UPS Worldport). Majority of those handlers are well-educated students working nearly full-time to put themselves through college. And the sort systems are quite advanced. Usually handlers know when something is glass or fragile - if it's coming from a facility like Amazon - and they automatically adjust.

I've had tons of tanks delivered via UPS with no problems. Ebi, ADA, Mr. Aqua. So it could have just been a bad day.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Now now now. No trash talking.
I'm certain there are a few UPS and FedEx drivers here in the forum.

I'm certain they don't willingly break boxes.
I'm sure that there are individual drivers who are careful. I also know at least one who doesn't give a crap. Had to search my neighborhood for the better part of an hour to find my RO/DI unit when it was delivered to my garage. Unfortunately I don't have a garage. Apparently 1/10th of a mile away is good enough, cause that's where I found it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I knew a guy who did 4 hour shifts in a UPS warehouse. Everyone in the place treated the packages like they were pinatas. Anything that even remotely looked interesting got tore open. The only person who has any investment in seeing the package delivered intact is the driver...too little too late by the time the damaged box gets to them.

A large majority of my packages look like they went through re-entry of the atmosphere...I should have started taking pictures years ago...would be the next people of walmart website. "Packages of UPS"

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm sure that there are individual drivers who are careful. I also know at least one who doesn't give a crap. Had to search my neighborhood for the better part of an hour to find my RO/DI unit when it was delivered to my garage. Unfortunately I don't have a garage. Apparently 1/10th of a mile away is good enough, cause that's where I found it.
I've had things like that happen when it is a substitute driver. Yes, wild where they will leave things!! I'll say that with both USPS and UPS, the "regulars" are great, all bets are off when it's a sub.

Leah

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, looks like it might not be anyone's fault. I had a separate Amazon order that must have been on the same truck because the tracking was identical. It had non-breakable items and also is listed as undeliverable.

I'm guessing that the truck was in a wreck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, looks like it might not be anyone's fault. I had a separate Amazon order that must have been on the same truck because the tracking was identical. It had non-breakable items and also is listed as undeliverable.

I'm guessing that the truck was in a wreck.

It happens...

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
They actually did a little test using accelerometers and found that UPS and Fedex are the roughest when handling boxes, having the most drops, highest drops, and most shifts in orientation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got my replacement Fluval Ebi today. Picked it up and cringed when I heard the tinkle of broken glass. Arg!!!!!!!

Maybe number three will make it. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm just a bit south of Richmond and I gave up looking for one in a store a while back and just ordered one. (Got it via UPS no problem though)

I do know The Aquarium down in Knoxville had a few in stock last Sunday.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Agreed on getting it locally. Even if the LFS doesn't carry it, as long as the LFS has an account with Fluval. The LFS can probably get an Ebi delivered to the store on the next shipment.

Sorry to hear about you bad luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.