The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there are any underwater "flowers" I think it would be interesting. I know some floating lilly pad types have flowers. Would like to those species as well!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Anubias sp. will bloom underwater. unsure of any others that will. some plants like Aponogetons and water lillys will bloom above the water line.

·
Registered
471 Posts
All Dwarf waterlilies are known to bloom in the aquarium; as well as being extremely fragrant...Sadly, all the dwarfs are night-morning bloomers...
Nymphaea micrantha/ 4 color lotus ......(Blue lilies)
Nymphaea zenkeri 'green' and 'red'/ Green or Red Tiger Lotus....(Pink or White(for both) lilies)
Nymphaea pubescens or stellata/Common dwarf water lily...(usually pink lilies)
Nymphaea rubra/ false red tiger lotus....(usually pink)

Barclaya longifolia(Waterlily without the floating pads;looks like an oversized crypt ,red and green variants)... Orchid lily... (flowers look like a lily and an orchid had a baby; purple; capable of blooming underwater if it can't find the surface)

Aponogeton sp. (natans being my favorite for growing floating pads close to its other aponogeton cousin, the 'Water Hawthorne' but easier to care for) They all bloom flowers that look like mini cat tails(plant) covered in a multitude of pink, white, and in between shades colored petals.

Anubias Barteri and its cousins are known to grow spathes like aquamoon said above with an awesome pic.

There was a thread on here with a crypt sp. flowering...

Cabomba sp. can flower if it is left alone to cover the surface; letting it grow cresent moon shaped lily-like pads. It will then grow tiny purple, pink. or white flowers depending on sp.

I think I've read eriocaulon sp. can flower in an aquarium.

Saggitaria subulata can grow flowers that float on the surface; which look like mini daisies.

Many sword/ echinodorus sp. can bloom in an aquarium only if their 'runner grows above the surface...

Hoped this helped at least a bit!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All Dwarf waterlilies are known to bloom in the aquarium; as well as being extremely fragrant...Sadly, all the dwarfs are night-morning bloomers...
Nymphaea micrantha/ 4 color lotus ......(Blue lilies)
Nymphaea zenkeri 'green' and 'red'/ Green or Red Tiger Lotus....(Pink or White(for both) lilies)
Nymphaea pubescens or stellata/Common dwarf water lily...(usually pink lilies)
Nymphaea rubra/ false red tiger lotus....(usually pink)

Barclaya longifolia(Waterlily without the floating pads;looks like an oversized crypt ,red and green variants)... Orchid lily... (flowers look like a lily and an orchid had a baby; purple; capable of blooming underwater if it can't find the surface)

Aponogeton sp. (natans being my favorite for growing floating pads close to its other aponogeton cousin, the 'Water Hawthorne' but easier to care for) They all bloom flowers that look like mini cat tails(plant) covered in a multitude of pink, white, and in between shades colored petals.

Anubias Barteri and its cousins are known to grow spathes like aquamoon said above with an awesome pic.

There was a thread on here with a crypt sp. flowering...

Cabomba sp. can flower if it is left alone to cover the surface; letting it grow cresent moon shaped lily-like pads. It will then grow tiny purple, pink. or white flowers depending on sp.

I think I've read eriocaulon sp. can flower in an aquarium.

Saggitaria subulata can grow flowers that float on the surface; which look like mini daisies.

Many sword/ echinodorus sp. can bloom in an aquarium only if their 'runner grows above the surface...

Hoped this helped at least a bit!
It helped a ton! :eek: Exactly what I was looking for. lol there are so many of them!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I believe creeping charlie (Micromeria Brownei) will bloom when it hits the surface, but I have a feeling it might be more of a water weed than a water plant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe creeping charlie (Micromeria Brownei) will bloom when it hits the surface, but I have a feeling it might be more of a water weed than a water plant.
Is that the same thing as moneywort?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts