The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

For my 75 Gallon tank I am running a Fluval FX5 and I have a maxi-jet pro 400...I can't put the filter on the side of the tank due to having glass tops i need on there, but I have the output hose on the corner and both outlets facing towards the other side and up a bit (for some surface agitation for O2), this filter puts out a lot of flow (says 900gph max, i've heard 450 more realistically), I have the filter intake just over slightly (behind my driftwood to help hide it) and the maxi-jet is currently on the same side of the tank pointing towards the other side (in circulation mode, says it pushes 500gph, can be put in normal power head mode for 110). However, some of my plants are just being blown around like crazy. I am planing to change the plants around in the near future, but was wondering if anyone could suggest an ideal way to set these up for good flow around the tank? I am running my co2 through an atomic diffuser which is below the power head, thinking this would help push the co2 to the other side of the tank. I've heard 10X flow for a tank is good, this would give me about 12X, seems like a lot of current, which is why I'm curious about an ideal setup :)

Any suggestions would be great! Sorry for the long post :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I seem to recall that you only need to turn the water over about 6-8 times per hour. I run a 950gph pump(actually about 800gph w/ 4' of head pressure) on a 135gal so my turnover rate is about 5.92 times an hour. All my plants are doing well and only gently sway with the current.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, with both my filter and powerhead going it seems like a lot of movement, and some of my plants are just blowing like crazy. I could take a picture or a video :) As for the atomic diffuser, it seems fine, I'm not getting the results I want with my tank in general so it's hard to really say, it does put a lot of tiny bubbles in your tank so if you don't like that look it might not be ideal :)

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Mr. Bubbles hasn't made an appearance here since June of 2012. Doubt you'll get an answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.