The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I quite accidently stumbled into MarineDepot's deal of the day on the Eheim 3e 2076 yesterday. My XP3 works fine, but it is noisy, so I;ve been thinking of upgrading. When the 2076 came up at $249, I couldn't pass it up (kast thing I'll be buyinf for a while).

So new filter otw, new opportunity to optimize config. The XP3 was coinfig'd by the previous owner for intake and outflow very close to each other. Never liked that.

I'll be new to Eheim. What are the nuances of their intake/outflow. I've seen some threads where folks have thrownthe original pipes out.

Most of all, what is current thinking on configurations to optomize flow? Without other input, I would simply put intake in one corner and outflow at the opposite end.

What plumbing are folks using - custom, factory, jets, spraybar...?

I have a TA skimmer intake that I'd like to keep using.

Any Eheim nuances to share - resources to go reference?

Thanks,
AB

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm using an Eheim Ecco 2236 on a 20 gallon, with a knock-off Ebay lily pipe outflow and a custom-made (thanks fishman!) acrylic inflow. I do the standard outflow in one corner, inflow in the opposite corner of the same side, with co2 misting inline.
From what I can see of the co2 mist, I get great coverage of the whole tank.

I really like the lily pipe, I'd recommend trying one if you haven't yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In the past, I had the intake in the center, and a T on the return, with two spraybars (with some of the holes blocked off to keep pressure up).
Worked very well.
I'd like to try intake in one corner, and the return in the other corner (with the Eheim "diffuser")

·
Registered
145 Posts
With a longer tank, the best placement usually seems to keep both the intake and return on the same side. The intake placed in the back-bottom corner and the return at the upper edge, just below the surface, faced slightly up. The upward tilt of the return allows for some surface movement (but not too much) to keep the surface clean, as well as gas exhange, as well it allows the water to flow along the surface of the water, to the other end of the tank, down the glass side and then along the bottom of the tank substrate and back to the intake for the filter. This allows complete circulation in the tank.

With the layout of your tank, it is best to keep them on the left side, and better if the plants on the right are trimmed slightly lower so not to impede the flow.

longer tanks with one filter this usually works best. With smaller tanks, placing them on opposite sides is possible, but it always means trying to hide the piping on two sides and with plants infront and slow down flow rate and cause "dead" areas of circulation.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
55g tank w/ 2 x 2217.

Ugly green intake and out-put replaced with Eheim "greyish" installation kits. Intakes at each end of the tank with 2 separate spray bars meeting in the middle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.