The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched about the forums, but I can't seem to find an actual answer. I hope that someone is able to help me.

I have a 55gal acrylic. Currently it is moderately-heavily planted on half and light to moderate on the other half. There are pieces of driftwood and a moss tree. I am running a 2232 (intake is on the rightside, outtake is on the left), under the outtake is a powerhead that a CO2 line feeds in to.
I have 15 ricefish, 5 corys, 6 bristnose plecos, and 4 otos.

My question is that I have places in my tank that have accumulated 'stuff.' it's not broken down AS, but it looks like detritus. Do I now have enough flow to maintain it suspended to filter out?

Any solutions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am a college student so my funds are somewhat limited. THANKS!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't think you have nearly enough flow. The 2232 is rated for tanks up to 35 gallons and pumps 127 gph. People here seem to shoot for 10x turnover.

I currently have about 7.5x turnover/hr from my canister filter, but am adding a powerhead this week that will double the flow rate in my tank.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So should I swap it out for my Eheim 2213? The powerhead moves about 1000GPH (maxijet 900) the intake of the powerhead also gets gunked up so I clean that very week.

Thanks people :)

When I get home, I'll place the two pipes next to each other.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Doesn't the 2213 have even lower flow? You could run both of them, but that's still not enough filtration for a 55g.

I'm going to end up with about the same flow from each, though personally, I'd rather have a larger filter supplemented by a smaller powerhead. It wasn't cost effective for me to buy a new filter though.

In any event, I think you need more filtration, not just more flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.