The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have a 90 gallon with an Eheim 2215 hooked up to an in-line heater (ETH) and an Eheim 2217 hooked up to an Up-Aqua atomizer. I really do not like the "7-up" bubbles all over my tank and am considering buying/building a Rex Grigg in-line CO2 reactor.

If I hook up the RG reactor to my Eheim 2217, will I have:

1. Fewer bubbles in my tank?
2. Enough flow for my moderate/heavily planted tank

Also, any issues with the RG reactor that I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I hated the bubbles too and so I implemented a reactor and now no bubbles. I would say go for it without concern - you will be happy you did.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Some people say they have reduced flow after hooking up the reactor. I don't have one so I can't affirm/debunk. I built a 'cerges' style reactor using a water filter housing and 'may' have slightly reduced flow but I have a Tunze powerhead so I have all the flow I need. The CO2 dissolves really well and I see no CO2 bubbles in my 75 gallon tank.

Hi:

I have a 90 gallon with an Eheim 2215 hooked up to an in-line heater (ETH) and an Eheim 2217 hooked up to an Up-Aqua atomizer. I really do not like the "7-up" bubbles all over my tank and am considering buying/building a Rex Grigg in-line CO2 reactor.

If I hook up the RG reactor to my Eheim 2217, will I have:

1. Fewer bubbles in my tank?
2. Enough flow for my moderate/heavily planted tank

Also, any issues with the RG reactor that I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
That is a vey nice unit and is based on the same type of water filter housing I am using.

My unit does not have a powerhead or any media in there to break up the CO2 into little bubbles. At the same time I am getting 100% dissolution of CO2 into my water. My unit also depends entirely on the power of the pump in the canister filter to push water through the unit and into the tank. I made my unit for about $25 after you factor in the water filter housing, tubing and fittings. Note: I do not have the valves hooked inline but you can get those cheap at the hardware store.

If you have the $$ you can purchase this unit. If you want to save some $$ it is easy to make your own.

Your seeing bubbles because it's inefficient, if you have a little spare cash try the CarbonDoser EXT5000 from http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_EXT5000_External_Reactor_5000_p/ext5000.htm, I use it with a 2215 and it works very well.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I built my rex reactor and plummed it into my 2217. I get almost no bubbles. The flow went down a little bit, but not by much. However I didnt use the spraybar that came with the eheim, I use their jet nozzle...works so much better in my 55g.

The reactor was worth it. I hate the sprite effect to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I decided to build a Rex reactor. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a 20" long reactor too long?
2. Does the reactor make any "gurgling" noises when finally installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I built a Rex Griggs reactor last year for my 55gal.

It's about 22" tall and used 2 inch PVC, so it's pretty large. It was slowing down the flow on my Eheim 2236, so I put it inline with an Eheim 1250 hobby pump (ie no canister). This helped flow ALOT.

I also plumbed the CO2 line about halfway up the reactor and get virtually no bubbles at the outake unless I REALLY crank the CO2 (above 4 bps). It's a great way to dissolve CO2 and your plants will flourish.

As for gurgling noises, it can make a very slight splashing noise occasionally, but it's no louder than the pumps and isn't an issue for me at all.

PS: Make sure you use teflon tape for all male-to-female threaded connections and proper PVC primer/glue when assembling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I built a Rex Griggs reactor last year for my 55gal.

It's about 22" tall and used 2 inch PVC, so it's pretty large. It was slowing down the flow on my Eheim 2236, so I put it inline with an Eheim 1250 hobby pump (ie no canister). This helped flow ALOT.

I also plumbed the CO2 line about halfway up the reactor and get virtually no bubbles at the outake unless I REALLY crank the CO2 (above 4 bps). It's a great way to dissolve CO2 and your plants will flourish.

As for gurgling noises, it can make a very slight splashing noise occasionally, but it's no louder than the pumps and isn't an issue for me at all.

PS: Make sure you use teflon tape for all male-to-female threaded connections and proper PVC primer/glue when assembling.
Can you tell me more about how you hooked up the Eheim 1250 inline?

I have a reactor inline with my filstar XP3 and it has slowed down the flow a lot. I'm not real concerned with the flow in the tank because I have two small powerheads in their as well. But I am concerned about adequate filtering of the tank. Tank is a 65 gallon.

Thanks.
Mickey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts