The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40B that's been up and running for a while now. According to Aqua Advisor I'm 110% stocked, but have about 150% of the required filtration. I'm running a 2217 and 2215 simultaneously as well as a Hydor Nano 425.

A day after cleaning the filter and vacuuming the substrate I have detritus mucking up the bottom. It seems to mostly build up in a spot but does occur everywhere. Moving the power head doesn't seem to do much but change the spot where the detritus lands.

I have the intakes for the filters located at either end of the tank towards the rear. The 2217 outflow is horizontally situated on the rear glass and has had its end cap removed so that the majority of the flow is directed out of that cap and along the back of the tank towards the opposite side. The 2215 outflow is situated on the opposite end of the tank and blows back towards where the 2217 output/input is located.

The power head is located in the bottom, rear, right hand side of the tank and blows towards the left.

I'm open for any suggestions to help make sure the detritus stays in the column longer so that it can be taken in by the filter. Normally I wouldn't mind too much, however, I have a sand substrate and this really shows against it making my tank seem rather unsightly.

If anyone is confused about the layout let me know and I'll try to illustrate it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
So if the two filter outputs are facing each other, then they are going to cancel each other out and create a large dead spot in your tank. You should try to position your filter outputs so as to create a whirlpool, and put the intakes into he dead spots if at all possible.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ditto: set up both outlets to flow in the same direction. I would start with then centered on the back, perhaps 6-8" apart, facing forward. Take out the power head for a while, till you can assess the filters first. Then add the ph where it will help the most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.