The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HOB filter(standard wal-mart version that comes with their 10g tank setups) but am wondering if I should add a powerhead? Is the HOB filter enough turnover by itself?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It's a rather subjective thing.

Personally, I measure flow by seeing what happens when I drop in some flake food. If much food falls to the bottom of the tank and can accumulate in spots without getting sucked into the filter intake, I think it's time to add more flow.

Personally, a tank this size I'd upgrade the filter before getting a powerhead. There's so little room in a 10gal tank I wouldn't want a powerhead cluttering it up (of course, I also just don't care for powerheads in general...) I'd go for an AquaClear 20 or 30.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Hi gsxunv04

AquaClear HOB filters are very good for planted aquariums as lauraleellbp suggests.

Get the biggest one (30 or 50) that you can afford. Pick up a pack of spare sponges and a 100g Purigen bag (by Seachem). The 100g bag of Purigen is on sale at some places.

I have a special mod that can slow these filter even more plus you still have the whole range of flow. If you get one, let me know and I will tell you about the mod.

Left C

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, I have a tough finding purigen locally. does petsmart not carry it, mine ar always sold out. I have been using ROX 0.8 activated carbon from bulkreefsupply.com. Its good stuff, but would be interested in purigen if I could find it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts