The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 46g planted tank with 185watts on 10hr a day, I just added Flourite substrate and now the water is totally green! I have no nitrates and have had the tank set up for 3 years and have never had an algea bloom before, so I suspect the Flourite. Any ideas what it could be from?]

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It is probably from upsetting the substrate when changing it. I had green water only once. It was after removing a large piece of driftwood and stirring up the substrate too much. You can try a blackout, but a UV sterilizer or a diatom filter will clean it up quickly.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Agreed,GW from upsetting the substrate. Flourite is really stable/inert and helps keep algae in check, compared to many. UV like Turbotwist is the way to go for an easy cure.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'd go blackout, mostly cause I'm cheap. the plants will survive a 2/3 day blackout but algae cannot. Also...... 4WPG!?! nice. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Do you have pressurized Co2?
Do you dose and do water changes regularly?
UV sterilizers can help, but it won't solve the problem. Best bet is to tone down the lighting for starters. I would aim for closer to 3wpg with a photo period around 8-9 hrs. Over the next 3-4 days, I would do a blackout and then a large (50-75% water change). Rinse and repeat that until the gw is gone and then make the changes I mentioned to see that it doesn't come back.
UV sterilizer will kill the free-floating algae spores, but IMO its best to change the parameter that caused the gw and then use the UV as a *preventative* afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts