The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added flourite into my already running established tank on the 11th. I rinsed it as much as I could but it was still pretty sooty. I expect from now on whenever I plant or move things around I'll get dust clouds, I can deal with that. But now my tank just looks dirty. I've tested the water quality, everything is fine but it looks dirty I have to keep wiping in the glass from the inside which gets a film of ashy sooty residue. I added filter floss on the 13th and I've been changing that daily. And I've done a few 25% or more water changes. What else can I do? I just dropped a nice chunk of money on new plants and lighting and co2 boosters and now the tank looks unkept and dirty, especially under my upgraded light :icon_sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
I've never added fluorite to an established tank before. I know for me to get rid of all the "soot", I have to rinse 3-4 ounces at a time until i can see no clouds in the water after stirring. I put 30 lbs into my 29 gallon. It took forever to rinse, almost a full day. I've used fluorite in 2 tanks now, and even though I like the growth, I won't be using it again. It's just not worth the work. Eco Complete with root tabs for me next time around.

I didn't wash my substrate well in my 14 gallon, and it took almost a month of gravel vacuuming/water changes for my tank to settle and not produce clouds when I disturb the substrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man... I wish I would have known what a hassle this was going to be. I did some basic research before settling on flourite but didn't come across and negative reviews for the gravel substrate (which I got) just about the sand. I rinsed about 3 cups at a time and still haven't gotten the left over of the second bag in the tank, I took me about a day of rinsing for the first bag and a half and I stopped when I realized how dirty it was even after washing in fear of messing up my filter. Looks like frequent water changes and filter cleanings are in my future! YAY! :icon_evil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
It will go away after a while, but if you want it gone now, I would suggest doing a large, 75%+ water change. If you need to pull out livestock, then place them in buckets during the change. You dont want them freaking out and kicking up more dust while the water is low.

Your 25% changes will get the job done eventually, but everytime you are leaving 75% of the dust in the tank. With (3) 25% changes you still have approx 42% of your original water along with the dust suspended in it. A single (or 2) large water change is going to be far more effective.

Big things to remember is going to be before and during the water change to kick the dust up off the leaves. While the tank is mostly empty, take the opportunity to wipe the inside walls with a paper towel or (my preference) coffee filters. That will get the dust off the glass. Biggest thing is to SLOWLY refill the tank and take special precaution to not disturb the substrate by placing down bowls or the like. Else you will be right back where you started.

I have used the Flourite gravel in 8 different tanks and never washed it as I dont want to lose the "dust". I figure its good for the plants because small particles would greatly increase the surface area for nutrient exchange.

But I've never tried to add Flourite to an established tank. Always put it in dry. Most of the time capped with sand (which it slowly works itself up in). And am very careful to not disturb the sand when filling. Even so I still get some dust. And when I replant when the tank is full I also get dust. Sometimes bad dust. Big waterchanges are my solution.

Also, overtime the dust problem goes away. I have Flourite substrates I have been using for 3+ years and they hardly ever get dusty even after a big replanting or rescape. I figure the dust has worked its way to the bottom or out into the water where it has gotten sucked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
It should go away after several days. I use Flourite Black gravel in my 120 and I am very happy with it. I used a kitchen strainer to clean it originally. I did have cloudy water for about three days which I thought at the time was a long time. Since I don't have any issues with clouds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
It will clear be patient. It is an excellent substrate. If you don't want to talk about nightmares then stay away from Eco Complete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I dumped the bag of flourite into a paint filter bag (home depot $4) and meaded it under running water for 15 mins. No dust.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top