The Planted Tank Forum banner

Flourite substrate, all you need?

1032 10
I am a newbie trying to create a planted tank. I have a couple bags of flourite and have read good reviews online but, would like to hear first hand experience. Is it all I need? Any info on the subject would be helpful. thanks :smile:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
It depends on your plan. IMO, I would say no I'm almost all cases for a planted tank. You need a nutrient substrate like dirt or aqua soil.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
Flourite is all you need as a substrate, meaning it doesn't have to be capped or used as a cap. But, if you have more than low light you do need to provide fertilizers for the plants to grow. This can be fertilizer dissolved in the tank water, or fertilizer tablets or capsules shoved into the substrate, or both.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
What size is your tank?

Most people end up buying dry fertilizers in bulk for larger tanks, as they are much more cost-effective than liquid.

Liquid can be convenient.

OH- make sure you rinse Flourite REALLY well before putting it in your tank.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Dry ferts are the cheapest but I like the convenience of dosing liquid. So I just mix them with water, enough to last me about a month.

Check posts by nilocg or aquariumfertilizer com.

v3

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm wanting to keep kuhli loaches. should I use sand over the Flourite?
I've heard it doesn't really matter much as long as they have lots of places to hide they won't burrow that often. However you can also get Flourite sand, best of both worlds I suppose, never used it myself.

Also I find dry ferts to be more convenient than the liquid ones. Why is it that people find liquid more convenient? I bought dry ferts and small measuring spoons and I just scoop out the correct amount and dump it into the tank. I don't even have to measure I just make sure to use the right spoon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.