The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have flourite sand in their tanks? the brown sand to be exact, not the black one. i’m starting up a new tank (40 gallon breeder) with multiple danio species as well as a lot of corys. i need a substrate that won’t hurt the corys and i would prefer a dark but natural looking substrate. i’m interested in flourite sand but i can’t find any videos or pictures of it on the internet. does anyone use it?

·
Registered
902 Posts
does anyone have flourite sand in their tanks? the brown sand to be exact, not the black one. i’m starting up a new tank (40 gallon breeder) with multiple danio species as well as a lot of corys. i need a substrate that won’t hurt the corys and i would prefer a dark but natural looking substrate. i’m interested in flourite sand but i can’t find any videos or pictures of it on the internet. does anyone use it?
I have built two different 75 gallon tanks over the years and both used regular Fluorite. My first tank was all regular Fluorite and my second tank uses regular Fluorite with a cap of Fluval Stratum.

In my first tank I had a several regular Cories and in my present tank I have about 12 Pigmy Cories. All have thrived. In my current tank I do have a 6 to 8 inch "beach" across the front of the tank made of fine pool sand. I always do feeding over this area including dropping pellets for the bottom feeders. No issues that I know of.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I have regular Flourite but not cories. It’s not brown tho. When you open the bag it looks brown, like coffee grounds, but when you rinse it out it’s a multicolored terracotta red. I love it personally, I find it extremely pretty.

·
Administrator
17,840 Posts
Moved your thread to the Substrate section. (Please post in proper areas so you get better responses.)

Have you used the search function here to see photos from others using Flourite sand? I know there are a few members with Tank Journals currently using it. I primarily use the black version at the moment but the brown/dark are just as nice. I like it a lot as an all-around substrate. It looks just like regular Flourite, only finer grained (like the Flourite Black Sand I've used in my cubes listed in my signature.) It's slightly harder than regular Flourite but still softer than, say, pool filter sand.

I'd avoid rinsing it much, as it's a clay-based substrate. Maybe once or twice, quickly and gently. Just add water to your tank slowly and you won't see any clouding. I treat it the same as I would ADA Aqua Soil and don't rinse at all. In part because it's clay-based and in part because it never really rinses clean.

For Cories, though, you can really use any substrate you want. There's not really anything on the market today that's going to harm them. Flourite Sand will work well for them regardless.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Moved your thread to the Substrate section. (Please post in proper areas so you get better responses.)

Have you used the search function here to see photos from others using Flourite sand? I know there are a few members with Tank Journals currently using it. I primarily use the black version at the moment but the brown/dark are just as nice. I like it a lot as an all-around substrate. It looks just like regular Flourite, only finer grained (like the Flourite Black Sand I've used in my cubes listed in my signature.) It's slightly harder than regular Flourite but still softer than, say, pool filter sand.

I'd avoid rinsing it much, as it's a clay-based substrate. Maybe once or twice, quickly and gently. Just add water to your tank slowly and you won't see any clouding. I treat it the same as I would ADA Aqua Soil and don't rinse at all. In part because it's clay-based and in part because it never really rinses clean.

For Cories, though, you can really use any substrate you want. There's not really anything on the market today that's going to harm them. Flourite Sand will work well for them regardless.
Omg where were you in my life 3 months ago, I literally spent three days rinsing the darn thing out, almost got divorced lol. Bathroom looked like a murder scene

·
Administrator
17,840 Posts
Omg where were you in my life 3 months ago, I literally spent three days rinsing the darn thing out, almost got divorced lol. Bathroom looked like a murder scene
Eeeep. Here's betting you only give it a quick rinse or two if you use it in the future. (Don't rinse Aqua Soil or anything similar, though.)

One good thing about Flourite Sand I should probably mention, @mdes1500, is that I've found it to be a lot cleaner than regular Flourite. Being harder overall likely plays a role in that.

Now I need to find a reason to set up another tank with Flourite Sand...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eeeep. Here's betting you only give it a quick rinse or two if you use it in the future. (Don't rinse Aqua Soil or anything similar, though.)

One good thing about Flourite Sand I should probably mention, @mdes1500, is that I've found it to be a lot cleaner than regular Flourite. Being harder overall likely plays a role in that.

did you use the brown flourite sand? if so did it look natural?

·
Registered
95 Posts

I found this out the hard way. You can rinse it all day and it will never come clean and when your done it will not be the same color as when you started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.