The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Flourite before in my tank (without plants) because I REALLY like the way it looks. Now I'm considering transitioning the tank from a Flourite/Driftwood tank to semi planted tank with various fish. It was recently brought to my attention that the Flourite may be bad for bottom dwellers such as Corys, Loaches and such. Is this an old myth or are the sharp edges bad for their little mouth and the small dust-like particles will be ingested and eventually kill the fish? Thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
203 Posts
The sharp edges on Flourite do make the barbels on corys more susceptible to damage if the fish aren't healthy and the water isn't clean. If you maintain your tank well you shouldn't have any problems. I have a tank now that uses Flourite as the substrate and there are three zebra loaches in it. They haven't shown any signs of damage or discomfort.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I personally never bought this argument. I know one of the places we caught tons of Cories in Bolivia was right on top of a gravel bed that was rather painful to walk on. I think the barbel wasting away was from an infection not related to substrate. I've kept Cories on Flourite for years and never noticed any of mine with barbel issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.