The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching/reading for a week but its still confusing.

With properly made worm castings/sand as a bottom layer and my recycled black Flourite gravel on top, is there any need in searching the world over for Dolomite, Muriate of Potash or Laterite? The Flourite *should* already have enough of the necessities, right?

I'm replacing my Flourite-only substrate with some worm castings instead of making mineralized top soil because I have a cooler full of worms already. The black Flourite just looks good in there so I'll cap with it. I'll begin water column dosing later on but I want a rich substrate I can feel confident about.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
If you are going to try it hold the Worm Casing layer to maybe 3/4" compressed. Ir a great organic, I use it in my tanks.

The Dolomite, Muriate of Potash or Laterite the slow release sources for Calcium, Potassium and Iron.

If you are in a part of Georgia that has that Georgia Red Clay soil and you can find a clean source(not over fertilized, no weed killers, no chemical waste) you could add that for an Iron source. Again keep the amount light 3/4" of that.

I don't add dolomite as my water is is hard enough. 7.5 to 8 out of the tap.

I've got some extra Muriate of Potash, PM me if you need some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have plenty of Georgia red clay. In fact, the soil I dug up this morning is more orange than anything, spread out on a tarp outside to dry.

The worm castings I boiled outside on a camping stove turned to mush. I've got it spread/drying now. I added a handfull of sand dredged from the local lake (Allatoona) to help bind it all together.

(PM sent)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts