The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after about a year or 2 of use, does Flourite maintain its granular form or does it break down into mud?

Im still deciding on a substrate. and does anyone with a planted tank use a gravel vacuum?

·
Registered
275 Posts
after about a year or 2 of use, does Flourite maintain its granular form or does it break down into mud?

Im still deciding on a substrate. and does anyone with a planted tank use a gravel vacuum?
Ive been continuously using the same flourite I started one of my first planted tanks with 3yrs ago, and it is still hard as a rock. From my knowledge I dont think it breaks down very quickly at all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well I would say it stays just right. I have had Flourite with sand addition in a planted aquarium for 4 years and it has been perfectly fine. I have Flourite in another aquarium also with sand (and they all say don't add sand for this and that reason) and it is very good, no breakdown, a good growing medium. I added sand to make for a more mixed, diverse grain size, which I think is natural. The amount of sand added was fairly minor 10%, say. These tanks.

30g tank in its Tonina phase (passed)

More recent phase:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The more recent phase pic shows a really pretty tank, pineapple!

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
does anyone with a planted tank use a gravel vacuum?
It depends a bit on your stocking levels. If the tank is overstocked with heavy poopers, it might be beneficial to vac the gravel once in a while. Many of us have groundcovers which make vacuuming a bit difficult. My tanks are understocked, and I like my Marsilea IN the substrate, so I rarely pull out the vac. Plants seem to appreciate the fish/snail/shrimp poop additions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i've used floourite for quite awhile and have never had any break down on me though i have heard of it if you use the vacuum cause it grinds it up
when you stick down in the flourite itself.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
i've used floourite for quite awhile and have never had any break down on me though i have heard of it if you use the vacuum cause it grinds it up
when you stick down in the flourite itself.
I doubt it. It's a very hard fracted clay based ore (IE, rock). It will likely last longer than you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.