The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Either one would work. I use both independently, and haven't had issues with plants popping up. Just put 3" of substrate, bury stems deep, and avoid animals that root around in the substrate.

FYI when first planting, you'll have plants occasionally float up. It happens, regardless of substrate type. Once they root, they're there to stay.

And Eco and Flourite Black Sand wouldn't mix together ...well, they would, on their way to switching places. The sand will end up on the bottom and the Eco on top. Eventually.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either one would work. I use both independently, and haven't had issues with plants popping up. Just put 3" of substrate, bury stems deep, and avoid animals that root around in the substrate.

FYI when first planting, you'll have plants occasionally float up. It happens, regardless of substrate type. Once they root, they're there to stay.

And Eco and Flourite Black Sand wouldn't mix together ...well, they would, on their way to switching places. The sand will end up on the bottom and the Eco on top. Eventually.
ok if i had cory in the tank with the sand could the uproot the plants...

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
ok if i had cory in the tank with the sand could the uproot the plants...
Cories can and will uproot anything before the anything is rooted, regardless of substrate. Any large-ish bottom-feeder can. But as long as your substrate grain size is a good bit smaller than epoxy-coated clown puke available at any LFS, you're all set.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Once the roots are well established there wont be much that can uproot them easily. Corydoras cats will not uproot them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cories can and will uproot anything before the anything is rooted, regardless of substrate. Any large-ish bottom-feeder can. But as long as your substrate grain size is a good bit smaller than epoxy-coated clown puke available at any LFS, you're all set.
ok thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts