The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what to cap my MTS with. It is a large tank so cost is a bit of an object, seems like Eco is cheaper, but I was hoping to get an idea of what experience people have had. I would like to keep the substrate dark if at all possible but other than that I am open to suggestion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have done Eco and the black sand from Carribean Naturals or whatever the heck it is. hated the sand though. It was so lightweight you could sneeze outside the aquarium and it would still blow it everywhere(slight exaggeration) It did not stay down though. I have stayed with Pool sand and some other blasting sand that is bigger than PFS(if interested I can look at the bag). Both are not dark though. White and black sand to me both show everything cause fish poo is both colors and are very easy to see. If you are planting a carpet who cares what color it is, which was my final decision. K I am done rambling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses, I am planting a carpet of either hc or glosso, I hadn't really considered that I wouldnt even be able to see the substrate in the end. How do the carpeting plants do with the sand substrate?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Carpets do perfectly fine. I would do an initial root tab of some sort to give them a kick start and get a chance to develop roots down deep enough to find some food. I also vaccum the sand lightly across the top so as not to suck up what could be nutrients for the plants. In case you are thinking this...Gravel vac works fine on sand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.