The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Black Florite Sand is so dusty even when it settles anything you do in the tank will stir it up again, I never rinsed it before i put it in (yeah i know stupid idea) and i put water clearing things in it ran the filter, changed the water nothing worked, it in now empty and i want to set it up. Another thing is that i got alot of it. like 3 and a half inches of it (3 bags in a 20g) Please help. :help: whats the easiest way to rinse Flourite sand?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just put it in a 3 gallon bucket in the laundry room sink. Run water in and stir with your hand for a while. You won't need to get it dust free some will stay. Repeat with the remainder until done. Mine is just fine in my 90g and I didn't wash the initial batch. I did wash the stuff I poured down a little tube (T8 light shield) to do some spot filling.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just put it in a 3 gallon bucket in the laundry room sink. Run water in and stir with your hand for a while. You won't need to get it dust free some will stay. Repeat with the remainder until done. Mine is just fine in my 90g and I didn't wash the initial batch. I did wash the stuff I poured down a little tube (T8 light shield) to do some spot filling.

Jim
I tried that for the fish bowl i did (there are no fish in it dont worry, just keeping some hardy plants in it) and i think if i do it the way you said that the sand would pour out with the water i think i heard wome one say that they put a stocking on top to catch the sand but im not quite sure how to do that :confused1:

·
Registered
531 Posts
The sand is heavy. Unless you put a strong stream into it, it isn't going anywhere. Just the dust comes up and floats out. I did two bags that way. It's easy.

In the US we're limited to wimpy faucets about 1+ gallon per minute. I had it on full.

jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sand is heavy. Unless you put a strong stream into it, it isn't going anywhere. Just the dust comes up and floats out. I did two bags that way. It's easy.

In the US we're limited to wimpy faucets about 1+ gallon per minute. I had it on full.

jim
ok thanks that helps :)
i guess the fish bowl was too little of sand for the water stream

1 - 5 of 5 Posts