The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyones water seem to turn dark after using flourish or is it just mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
2 drops per gallon. 2.5 ml of leafzone and flourish tabs

I think its actually algae. Im gonna have to tear 2 of my tanks down to deep clean. Yay me!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I think its actually algae. Im gonna have to tear 2 of my tanks down to deep clean. Yay me!

Unfortunately, unless you fix the underlying problem, it will be back. You can't get rid of all algae by resetting the tank. A few species are by import only, but most are spores in the air or come in with your water source.

·
Registered
961 Posts
a picture could help.

never heard of BROWN water algae though. but I guess green water could have a brownish tint?

If it is algae, like nate said, it will come back again and again if you don't get the balances correct. you'll need to identify the algae and then figure out the best way to attack it. some are more of a pain than others. good luck!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Does anyones water seem to turn dark after using flourish or is it just mine?

May I ask if you are speaking about Flourish (as in the old 'Comprehensive') and, if not, which Flourish product is involved? Seachem markets virtually all of their nutrient products under the 'Flourish' name.

·
Registered
146 Posts
2 drops per gallon. 2.5 ml of leafzone and flourish tabs

Fertilizers themselves won't cloud the water - there must be an underlying issue. Depending on whether there are fish in the tank, I'd start by looking at two possibilities: 1.) Overfeeding... IME, that's the most common cause of algae and cloudy water. 2.) If there aren't fish in the tank, then the plants aren't getting enough nitrogen and phosphorus (which would come from fish waste). From what you listed, you're not dosing either.

Just a side note - if using Flourish liquid, then the Flourish tabs are unnecessary... even if you have supposed "root feeders" in the tank. The tabs have the same nutrients as the liquid, and virtually any plant will draw nutrients from the water column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts