The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I ordered a seachem 3 pack of ferts that had potassium, nitrogen and phosperus in it. I would also like to use regular Flourish as well. Should I buy thr 3 pack of this as well that comes with Flourish, Excel and Iron? Or would it be okay just using Flourish or Excel combined with what I already have?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
With the other 3-pack you would gain iron, so, I don't see much of the difference either way.

Maybe look into dry fertilizers - save yourself some $$$.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Flourish Comprehensive contains iron, but perhaps not enough for some plants.
Over the last year or so I have seen several posts about over dosing traces (the main ingredient in Comprehensive). I would get the other 3-pack. Then you can slightly under dose Comprehensive (that is, all the traces) then make up for the low iron with the iron fertilizer.

Once you get used to dosing fertilizers you might decide that dry ferts are the way to go. When you buy any of the pre-mixed materials you are paying for shipping water with just a little active ingredient. When you buy just the active ingredient you add your own water. Much more cost effective.

Granted, a small tank would take a long time to use that much active ingredient, but most of us end up with more than one tank, and larger tanks as time goes on, so the cost for ferts could skyrocket if we did not switch over to dry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.