The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added Amano and RCS to my community tank. I am currently dosing EI with Flourish Trace for micros. I have read that shrimp are vulnerable to Cooper and I noticed that Trace has a small amount in the list. Will this be harmful to the shrimp? I have been dosing about a week without knowing and they seem fine.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
That should be a safe dose. You are dosing 0.0011ppm per week. The toxic amount for shrimp is somewhere around 0.5-1ppm. You would have to overdose by about 500x to get to that point. Make sure you are keeping up with your weekly water changes. Also, I didn't have as much success breeding my RCS when I was dosing EI levels. Once I cut back, they have been breeding like crazy.

There are also several very interesting threads about accumulating trace mineral toxicity and plant health. It is based around dry dosing, but still interesting.

Ben

·
Registered
819 Posts
You should be fine with it. I'm dosing EI method for my high light planted tank which houses lot of red cherry shrimps with no problem. They are breeding constantly.

I have dry trace element for micro ferts and it has a small amount of copper in there as well. My tank is only 10gal. Considering you have bigger tank is a plus.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I used to feed them Hikari algea Wafer and they like it.
There are also many good brand food that made for shrimps (even for RCS): BorneoWild Red Ruby, Grow, Frenzy, Mosura Graze Active, Shirakura Ebi Dama
I switch to BorneoWild Red Ruby a while ago and I can say RCS gets better in growth and color. I only feed them every other days, and Sunday I put in Mosura Graze Active (Snow Flakes) in. The Snow Flake does not pollute the water so it's a plus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.