The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If yay please give me tips for best way to plant them (I.E. exact method for placement)

If nay what do you recommend for pygmy chain swords?

My substrate is about 3" of Eco Complete right now.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
forum member nilocg sells a few different root tab. I usually buy the EI clay root tabs but h also sells or at least has before osmocote plus caps. Both im sure would work really well for a lot less than those flourish tabs. His name is exactly like I spelled it so do be afraid to shoot him a pm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nay, waste of money. If you have 3" of Eco I feel you have plenty of fertile substrate for plants. I used Eco with little laterite and my swords are 18" tall with runners.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mohican's comment sounds right. I have most of a box of Seachem Root Tabs in my 10g, one under an E. osiris Sword, most since the Spring.

The Sword never did much unusual, but over the last few weeks has been putting out at least 2 or 3 leaves a week. I wonder if I am doing something right and not knowing it. I have read here, I believe, that they arre intended for "heavy root feeders" and they seem to last a long time, but seem kind of pricey to me. Have also read that API root tabs make a big mess if you try to take them out.

·
Super Moderator
16,945 Posts
Eco-Complete is inert and contains no nutrients for plants beyond the negligible liquid added to the packaging. You'll need to add ferts in the form of root tabs or dosing if you have plants that need more than your tank in its natural state can provide.

But others are correct - there are cheaper alternatives than Flourish tabs. You can use fern sticks, Osmocote Plus gelcaps that you make yourself or any other variety of root tab that you can get from a variety of members here.

Nay, waste of money. If you have 3" of Eco I feel you have plenty of fertile substrate for plants. I used Eco with little laterite and my swords are 18" tall with runners.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Registered
38 Posts
Eco-Complete is inert and contains no nutrients for plants beyond the negligible liquid added to the packaging. You'll need to add ferts in the form of root tabs or dosing if you have plants that need more than your tank in its natural state can provide.

But others are correct - there are cheaper alternatives than Flourish tabs. You can use fern sticks, Osmocote Plus gelcaps that you make yourself or any other variety of root tab that you can get from a variety of members here.
Somewhatshocked, the fern sticks you metioned are those the ones for potted plants? I think the brand name is JoBo or Miracle Grow??

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yay - for new tank substrates, but I'd use Tetra tabs that have high NPK and micronutrients for aquatic plants.

Nay - for established tanks, I'd say a year's worth of detrius provides enough organic, NPK, and other micronutrients if tank is fully stocked with diverse range of inhabitants (i.e. trumpet snails, loaches, nerites, cories), in addition to proper light, water, & circulation.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use the API root tabs if you compair the two the API should be better number wise.

You would think with a name ECO Complete it be complete but it not. Are you vacuuming if so stop you sucking all the good stuff out of the substrate. You can litely vacuum but don't go to deep top 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I use the API root tabs if you compair the two the API should be better number wise.

You would think with a name ECO Complete it be complete but it not. Are you vacuuming if so stop you sucking all the good stuff out of the substrate. You can litely vacuum but don't go to deep top 1/4 inch.
Hi All,

I'm afraid I will have to take exception to this comment. API Root Tabs claim that they are:
A superior plant fertilizer in tablet form. Contains key essential nutrients to stimulate lush plant growth. Gets new plants off to a good start and keeps established plants flourishing.

Rich in iron
Promotes strong root development
Long-lasting formula -- feeds plants for a month
Use in freshwater aquariums
Will not harm fish
but according to their MSDS they only contain:
Section 3 - COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
NAME CAS RN %
clay 30-60
carbon 30-60
additives 1-10
whereas Seachem Flourish Tabs contain:
Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen 0.28%
Available Phosphate 0.17%
Soluble Potash 0.16%
Calcium 14.9%
Magnesium 0.06%
Sulfur 12.2%
Boron 0.029%
Chlorine 0.55%
Cobalt 0.001%
Copper 0.001%
Iron 2.2%
Manganese 0.23%
Molybdenum 0.0009%
Sodium 0.14%
Zinc 0.0024%

Derived from: Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Gluconate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Protein Hydrolysates.

Some components are no longer listed in the Guaranteed Analysis due to state regulations. The formulation of this product has not be altered.
I use Seachem Tabs for a couple of reasons, they contain all three Macro nutrients and the key Micro nutrients and they don't cause algae blooms like Osmocote Plus tabs can if I disturb the area with vacuuming or re-planting. They are especially good for plants that are heavy root feeders like Crypts, Swords (Echinodorus species), and my Micro Chain Sword 'Red' (previously Echinodorus tenellus; currently Helanthium tenellum)

10 gallon, non-CO2, 2X10 watt CFL; Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, Excel, Plant Tab
(If you wonder who is staring at you it is Mr. and Mrs. Apristogramma Cacatuoides 'Triple Red')

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.