The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i'm new to planted tanks and to this forum.

i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with Flourish Excel either by itself or as a supplement to regular CO2. i was hoping to use it as the only source of carbon but wasn't sure how well it worked or if it was cost prohibitive.

i plan on setting up a 30 and 20H with about 2 wpg while adding macro and micro nutrients.

thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
i plan on setting up a 30 and 20H with about 2 wpg while adding macro and micro nutrients.
thanks!
On the 20 you could probably get away with it, but even then you would be better off with a DIY CO2 because it would be more cost effective for you. On the 30 I would also do a DIY CO2 or better yet, an injection system.
IMHO

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run all my tanks on Excel and 2 watts per gallon. I like it as a medium tech, relatively low maintenance system. Very little algae problems, reasonable growth rates and fairly wide choice of plants.

It is kind of a myth that it is expensive to use too. You can buy a 2 liter bottle at Big Al's for 23.99 a bottle. That is 2000 ml. If you dose at the recommended daily dose of 3 ml for a 30 gallon then that bottle will last well over a year. Hardly a huge investment. I can't imagine CO2 is much cheaper than that either.

You can get a $20 Aqualifter pump and then the dosing is automatic too.

Good luck, Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.