The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 100% water change in my tank to clean out my previous gravel, now BBA is just starting to show its annoying self. I want to use Flourish Excel to clear it out of the whole tank. Has anyone ever done this before? How much should i dose for a 55 gallon tank? Also, is overdosing harmful to the plants?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
can you detail whats in the tank for fish and plants, yes I've done this and other not so smart things too LOL

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Using a syringe for treating BBA is the best way to add it into the tank and there a BUNCH of threads covering the topic and more than one that lists which plants don't handle it.
I currently use Glutaraldehyde mixed to 1.5% for the cost savings for what I use it for.

Dosing Excel to 10ml/15g will kill algae. That's based on the tank actual volume not listed size.
My 55g tanks with substrate etc. only average close to 43g full.

Spend some time reading before dumping things into your tank is my suggestion.

hope this helps

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that actually does help. But my tank is empty of fish because i just gave away my large tiger oscar because he wanted to eat the plants i am trying to grow. Buy i have a mix of assorted crypts/vals, and specifically just bought lidwigia repines, amazon swords, crypt lutea, and anacharis. With 54 watts HO T5, and i don't wanna run CO2

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did a 100% water change in my tank to clean out my previous gravel, now BBA is just starting to show its annoying self. I want to use Flourish Excel to clear it out of the whole tank. Has anyone ever done this before? How much should i dose for a 55 gallon tank? Also, is overdosing harmful to the plants?
Yes you can overdose with Excel. A sure sign you have a problem is the fish gasping (too much CO2 vs. enough oxygen).

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Yes you can overdose with Excel. A sure sign you have a problem is the fish gasping (too much CO2 vs. enough oxygen).
CO2 and Excel are COMPLETELY different so this reply is confusing to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also, is overdosing harmful to the plants?
Excel does kill BBA, why not try regular dose for a couple of weeks before going for overdose (I've read that going from no excel to overdose is harder on your more sensitive plants). Regular dosing got rid of most of my BBA.

Excel can be harmful to moss (again, read , not experienced).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.