The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if i need this or not... I heard it can help with algae, but does it really help grow the plants? I am just wondering if it is necessary for medium light plants..

I have low tech- medium tech setups. No CO2 for any. Each tank is stocked adequately with fish/shrimp/etc..

growing:
rotala - medium light
xmas moss - medium
java fern - low
java moss - low
jungle val - low
amazon sword- medium
red flame sword- medium
dwarf grasses- medium
frogbit- low
salvinia- low
dwarf water lettuce- low
water sprite- low
anacharis- low
pennywort- low
ludwigia repens - medium
baby tears- medium
dwarf baby tears- medium
marimo balls- low

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
it can NEVER hurt to dose excel. Its a carbon product. Yes it helps with algae, and yes the plants will utilize it as well.

i dose it everyday.

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm,

I beginning to think is it easier to have pressurized co2 or is dosing less work?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Wondering if i need this or not... I heard it can help with algae, but does it really help grow the plants? I am just wondering if it is necessary for medium light plants..

I have low tech- medium tech setups. No CO2 for any. Each tank is stocked adequately with fish/shrimp/etc..
Hi Soup12,

Plants need carbon molecules for growth and benefit most species benefit from the addition of carbon supplements. That said, Excel/Metricide/glutaraldehyde have a negative effect on some plant species. I lost my Vallisneria, Ceratophyllum, and mosses when I started dosing glut. I believe anacharis and the moss balls could be harmed as well, but I don't grow those species so I don't know from personal experience.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I believe it's a crypt killer. I manage to grow healthy crypts with out it or CO2.

Better to use Flourish and keep up on your water changes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's up with the negative excel posts these days?
As mentioned, it's known to kill a variety of plants at the recommended dosage. Many have also experienced better growth with CO2 instead of glut, and some even dose glut along with CO2 for the added algaecide property, but it's not really considered a CO2 replacement. For low-tech systems though (assuming certain plants aren't in the tank), glut is better than no carbon dosing at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
@funkman not to hijack this thread but I just tried a search for excel + kill and didn't find what I was hoping. A list of plants excel kills or works best with any suggestions

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I used excel, but it was melting some things, so I just ditched it and my plants have been growing fine without CO2 or glut. I like the idea of not having to trim constantly just to keep the tank under control. But my growth has been great and I have been trimming a ton anyway lol. So my vote is that both glut and CO2 are a tad overrated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts