The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started dosing one of my tanks with Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Excel, and I also added Flourish root tabs. I am wondering what (if any) changes this will make to my water parameters. If someone could please let me know what to expect from these products I would certainly appreciate the info. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone answer this question? In particular I want to know if Flourish Excel, like injected CO2, changes the pH of my tank. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
CO2 lowers the pH of a tank because some of it combines with water to form carbonic acid.

Excel is often thought of as "liquid CO2", but that's really incorrect. It supplies a limited amount of carbon to plants through an alternate means, and doesn't produce CO2 at all. So you will not see a significant pH drop. Nor will it affect a drop checker.

If you have a good pH meter, you might see a very small pH drop. That's because Excel is acidic. But it's too weak an acid, and the dosage too small, to detect the change with a pH test kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.