The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just started a nano aquarium. I used Seachem florite sand. I rinsed it before I put it in the tank but I am wondering if I needed to do a lot more. The water was cloudy overnight but then cleared up. I then planted one plant and the water is the color of mud. Is this normal? Will it always be this way or did I not rinse it enough?

This is what it looks like after planting one plant.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Unless the sand is very fine, use a small net and rinse it under a tap so the dust can get out....
I just use those white fish nets....Rinsing sand in a bucket can be self defeating if it has lots of fine particles.
As some come out, others are trapped until they are again disturbed and exposed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I did a few water changes as I vacuummed. The substrated used to look like sand now it looks more like fine gravel. I might do some more rinsing tomorrow. If it is rinsed properly how much dust would I get planting or moving it around?

·
Registered
373 Posts
What I did is place the sand in the bucket with water -> swirl it around really really hard -> stop for 3 sec, the heavy particles should sink right away -> dump out the water and whatever still floating -> repeat 10 times till the water you dump out are practically clear. Now the sand is ready for use. Now you won't get any dust kick up even when you plant/move things around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Somewhere I read to put it in a pillow case and wash it. That seems like it could be a good choice. But I hope someone can tell me if cleaned properly how much dust will I get if I move it around or plant.

What I did is place the sand in the bucket with water -> swirl it around really really hard -> stop for 3 sec, the heavy particles should sink right away -> dump out the water and whatever still floating -> repeat 10 times till the water you dump out are practically clear. Now the sand is ready for use. Now you won't get any dust kick up even when you plant/move things around.
wow really no dust kick back?! If so I will keep cleaning tomorrow. I want to start on the right foot. Dealing with its current state is a pain and very impratical. I had 4 plants to plant and after one i had to blindly plant the others because I couldnt see!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used cheap aluminum roasting pans from the dollar store. Dumped Flourite black sand in and rinsed in driveway with garden hose for about 15 min. Still had some discoloration in tank but not much. Did one or two partial water changes and all was good.

Still get some "white clouds" if I disturb the sand but its gone within a min or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.