The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most well - stocked fishstores sell a water - soluble form of nitrogen. Florish makes bottles of N, K (K20), and P ( P205) . Regarding the nitrogen, I have yet to see a single thread where anyone recommends this as a source of N ... everyone of course is talking up KN03. For that matter it seems that noone uses any of the Florish brands other than Excel and for traces.

Im off to hardware store looking for my ' stump remover ' form of KN03 .

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Many of us use Flourish as a trace supplement.

The reason that most of us don't use the Seachem Nitrogen product is cost. Bulk dry nutrients are many times cheaper than paying for water to be shipped across the country.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Plants do ok with KNO3.. they prefer NH3 because the molecule shape is closer to what they need.. I'm not sure what Seachem's nitrogen really is.. It might be something the plants prefer over KNO3.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Flourish Nitrogen is a blend of 50% guanidine and 50% KNO3.

Plants prefer ammonium to nitrate because it is closer to an amine form of Nitrogen plants use to make plant proteins.

Free ammonium ions have a tendancy to cause algae outbreaks, so guanidine is used to bind the ions to a carbon atom (three NH2's to one carbon) to help prevent algae from being able to make use of it, but not plants. It also helps prevent the filter bacteria from converting it to nitrite then nitrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.