The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to post this to share it, and only regret that I didn't get a picture. I had a pair of FFF in a 10g, and the male died of dropsy. So I went in with a net to remove the female.....couldn't find her......still couldn't find her......and then I see it -- An odd-shaped rock with two eyes sticking out of the sand. YES, she had 1/2 buried herself in the substrate!!!! Even when I scooped her up with a net she didn't budge, she must have really thought she was invisible. And she almost was, her coloration really blended in with the sand.

What a fun fish! :hihi:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Don't say that 10 times fast - the president of our aquarium club made that slip of tongue once at a public auction. It was rather embarrassing for the poor guy!

And I didn't know they did that - pretty cool!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
She was probably depressed :(

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
esarkipato; while we may like applying human emotions to animals as dumb as fish, I have only observed Flags bury themselves in the substrate during times of abrupt stress, such as a violent water change, or when your hands are in your tank during landscaping. there must be something else going on in your tank for her to do that, and it's not some emotional trauma on the death of her tank-mate. the same source of stress could have made your male prone to disease, so you may want to figure out what is wrong with your tank to make your normally hearty flags so fragile... and that's the fact.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
esarkipato; while we may like applying human emotions to animals as dumb as fish, I have only observed Flags bury themselves in the substrate during times of abrupt stress, such as a violent water change, or when your hands are in your tank during landscaping. there must be something else going on in your tank for her to do that, and it's not some emotional trauma on the death of her tank-mate. the same source of stress could have made your male prone to disease, so you may want to figure out what is wrong with your tank to make your normally hearty flags so fragile... and that's the fact.
Thanks for your concern ;)

The fact that I was going to remove her WITH A NET caused her to jump around and shoot into the substrate. you so smart!!!

the reason I removed the male was because he was constantly harassing the female and would have eventually killed her. He died in my other 29g community tank due to probably a poor transition from water parameters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts