The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just did a search for it and everything that I could find is that it's dirty, but it comes with some kind of packets that clear the water up. (this probably only last for a while then every time you move anything around in the tank it will stir up more dust)

Course or rough also was mentioned.

Personally I would avoid it just because of these 2 problems being so prominent in text and video.

I would shoot for something else all things considered. Plenty to choose from.

I have used Eco-complete black with no adverse side effects and can't really complain about anything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes it's a tough substrate however I haven't had any issues with unclear water.

It highly depends on adequate filtration and flow as well.
What about stirring for various reasons after the initial set up? Seems to be quite a few of people online complaining of that as well. Did you notice anything out of the ordinary?(most gravels stir up detritus after a while anyways)

·
Registered
243 Posts
You need to rinse the stuff, like most substrates. Eco -complete has the exact same texture and composition has Floramax (they are both crushed lavarock) . Did I say you have to rinse the stuff? I use it in my nanos and I grow HC in it in absurdly low light. If you get a bag, you will have to rinse it, well. Nothing but success here, but Im in the MGOPM game now...

·
Registered
369 Posts
You need to rinse the stuff, like most substrates. Eco -complete has the exact same texture and composition has Floramax (they are both crushed lavarock) . Did I say you have to rinse the stuff? I use it in my nanos and I grow HC in it in absurdly low light. If you get a bag, you will have to rinse it, well. Nothing but success here, but Im in the MGOPM game now...
I think you forgot to mention that he needs to rinse the stuff.:icon_eek::)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have this substrate in a 5 gallon planted with medium light and pressurized CO2. I have had no problems at all with the substrate clouding the water. It is the exact same consistency as Eco Complete. In fact people have looked at the aquarium and mistaken the Flora Max for Eco on occasion. They are that similar.

Also, I rinsed my gravel 4 times using a bucket before I put it in my aquarium.

Let me say that again......Rinse the gravel........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Over all I have been pleased with both eco, and flora. I have used them
each in smaller tanks, and use them both mixed togther in my larger display
tank now.

I used to keep a school of Botia almorhae with no issues. I have been
scratched here and there during a serious replanting or re-scaping. So
there are sharp pieces.

My main issue is with the density. During various stages of initial planting
and as certain plants spread I encounter the same problems time and
again. Roots are easily freed from the top inch or so of substrate during