The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a couple bags of flora max planted tank substrate. What are your guys opinions of it. Have any of you used it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I used some in my first planted tank. The plants liked it but it is pretty rough. I wouldn't use it if you have Corydoras or other fish that like to hang out on the bottom and/or play in the substrate.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ForaMax is another substrate for us poor folk that don't want to spend the money on AquaSoil lol, I've used it before and had great success with it. But I mixed it with Flourite, and then capped it with play sand, and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you use any root tabs or liquid ferts?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I only used Flourish Comprehensive, but that was before I got into dosing dry fertilizers which I now use.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I used some in my first planted tank. The plants liked it but it is pretty rough. I wouldn't use it if you have Corydoras or other fish that like to hang out on the bottom and/or play in the substrate.
Here we go again:)

I've used it with cories with no missing barbels or fish revolts(death).

I used a 1in of 50/50 laterite/sand mixture , and 1.5in mixture of Caribsea Floramax and aquarium gravel.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here we go again:)

I've used it with cories with no missing barbels or fish revolts(death).

I used a 1in of 50/50 laterite/sand mixture , and 1.5in mixture of Caribsea Floramax and aquarium gravel.
Just because they aren't missing barbels or dying doesn't mean it's comfy, lol.

If I rolled around in gravel I wouldn't lose an ear or die but it wouldn't feel good.

I just know that when I rinsed and stirred it in a bucket for while my hands were a bit raw, good for a nice exfoliation though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts