The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!! I'm trying to scape my 40breeder to resemble the picture below

...so far this is what I have...i got the wood from Jake but i'm thinking about getting thicker pieces of driftwood...what do you think??? i feel like my pieces of wood are too thin (avg 1") ...i'm thinking about getting some driftwood that is about 2"-2.5" thickness...constructive criticism is encouraged:fish:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That looks more than fine! You don't want it too thick. You want it to be sized in relation to the tank and I think anything thicker might look odd in a 40gl.

Experiment and have fun mounding the substrate all around the branches. On a tank like that, plant accordingly but not too thick at first I'd say, and let it fill in 'naturally' to give it that more 'natural' feel.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but in the picture from the ADA gallery i posted the branches are pretty thick and it matches the tank...it actually looks like a stump

That looks more than fine! You don't want it too thick. You want it to be sized in relation to the tank and I think anything thicker might look odd in a 40gl.

Experiment and have fun mounding the substrate all around the branches. On a tank like that, plant accordingly but not too thick at first I'd say, and let it fill in 'naturally' to give it that more 'natural' feel.

·
Registered
322 Posts
but in the picture from the ADA gallery i posted the branches are pretty thick and it matches the tank...it actually looks like a stump

do you know what size tank he's using though? That could be 100 gallons, so a stump that big would look "normal". But you also have to remember that masashi ono is a world ranking scaper. They can achieve things the normal scaper can't lol. They know how to portray a certain image.

Honestly, I think your's looks pretty good how it is. You could maybe bundle some more onto that main piece to make it look thicker. Then plants could fill that in a bit so it doesn't look like 10 sticks bundled into one.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the tank is that large...if those are CPDs/galaxy rasboras then I'd assume the tank is about 20-30 gallons...can anyone verify what fish those are?

do you know what size tank he's using though? That could be 100 gallons, so a stump that big would look "normal". But you also have to remember that masashi ono is a world ranking scaper. They can achieve things the normal scaper can't lol. They know how to portray a certain image.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your last picture looks good, and I think it would work well. However, it does not look like a stump. At the floor of the tank, you have lots of small branches, but they don't really flow up into one or two main trunks.

If you really want a "stump" look, I would think about three thick pieces: one 3 inches, and a pair around 2 inches. If you look at the example near the surface, the largest piece is about 1/15th of the tank width and the main clump is about 1/5th. If your tank is a 40 long it is 48 inches. Using the ratios of the example, your thickest piece would be about 3 inches and the clump about 9 inches across.

I like what you have, but if your heart is set on duplicating the example, I think you need heavier wood.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
but in the picture from the ADA gallery
hold it right there!

it's your tank. i think that wood looks great.

ehh - i was going to try and say something profound about trying to create a copy of a show tank, but i won't. i think it's a phase we go though. you might find you like what you end up with more if you just use those ada tanks as inspiration.

-just a thought

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone!

Thank you everyone for your responses!!! I really appreciate it...you have all made strong points and I have decided to not get thicker wood and stick with the pieces I have...ALSO, I will not be replicating the ADA picture but I will use it as my inspiration...Down the road when everything fills in I'll be happy that it will be my very own tank...thanks everyone...i will be starting an offical thread soon :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I don't think the tank is that large...if those are CPDs/galaxy rasboras then I'd assume the tank is about 20-30 gallons...can anyone verify what fish those are?
I'll tell you one thing, those aren't Celestials in that tank. Not sure what they are, but they aren't CPD's.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll tell you one thing, those aren't Celestials in that tank. Not sure what they are, but they aren't CPD's.
If I'm not mistaken those fish are Red Devil Tetras and are quite rare around here. There is a scape full of them here at Aqua Forest Aquarium, San Francisco. I've seen them in some of Amano's scapes in publications also, but not sure if anyone here on these forums has them. The ones here at AFA were not for sale, last I checked.

Hope this helps. Many people often have trouble trying to track down the type/source of these tetras.

A TERRIBLE photo of them below:

The separation of the red from top/bottom on the rear fin is MUCH more pronounced in person.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.