The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dream Tank -

I am slowly gathering all the equipment I think i need and reading a ton in the process. Currently I have the following:

220 Gallon - 72" x 24" x 30" H
2 - H2Pro Titanium Heater w/Controller 800W
Large Sump - need the plumping still
FX6 - Canister Filter
External Reactor - I bought one - may have to make on. Using the FX6 for the C02.
20lb C02 Tank
Dual Regulator - flow meter
2 - Fluval 3.0 Plant lights
UV Water Purifier Sterilizer 55 W 12 GPM

Right now I am trying to understand water parameters. I have whole house RO and well water and want to automate all dosing and water changes.

My fish are going to be German Rams - Rainbows, Tetras, and maybe Angels. Still deciding on that and learning now on the water guidelines.

Plant lists and Hardscape still in my mind. Purchased most if not all the driftwood for the forest.

Write more when I decide or implement more!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the reply. Yes, for sure the tank has large sump. It is on my list above... The FX is strictly for the C02 and any extra fine filter media etc... I wanted to start slow with plants. I am going to hardscape like a forest with moss and smaller plants. and still learning what that will be since the water will be on the warmer side. I want Rams.... Lights I need to save up for.... Also looking a controller to have probes - so many things to learn and go through. I just didn't want to wait to start this tank so i bought the Fluval lights. You think they wont be enough??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since you have a 72" tank, I assume you're intending two 36" lights (the longest one is 48"). You'd need at least three rows (so, six 36" fixtures), I think.

I have two 36" Fluval 3.0 on a 36 x 18 x 24" high tank, and it is enough to plug along with easy plants, and I like them, but there's not much extra headroom intensity-wise once I got the color spectrum dialed in.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you have a 72" tank, I assume you're intending two 36" lights (the longest one is 48"). You'd need at least three rows (so, six 36" fixtures), I think.

I have two 36" Fluval 3.0 on a 36 x 18 x 24" high tank, and it is enough to plug along with easy plants, and I like them, but there's not much extra headroom intensity-wise once I got the color spectrum dialed in.
WOW..... What light would give me the option to grow anything? Am I going to the Mitras or AI light category?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Several Kessils might look nice with that style tank to get that heavy shimmer effect. I can say I've had success with my freshwater SB Reeflights light. It's a Chinese black box at the end of the day, but the thing is a tank, the price was decent, and I don't feel there is a plant I can't grow with it. If you go back in the thread in my signature I believe I had some PAR readings I took. It's a powerful light. A few of those should cover the tank. I do wish I had more control over the spectrum though. The light only has 2 channels and I've definitely noticed the benefit of three channel adjustability that is on the Chihiros Vivid Mini I have on my 45U. And if I recall correctly the AI Vega I have laying around from my last reef tank had like 7 or 8 channels of adjustability. If you have room in the canopy it might be nice to retrofit a couple T5s in there to help even out the color.

One thing I will say is not to get caught up too much on crazy features. Thunderstorm modes are useless. It's a fun novelty for about 2 minutes. And ramp up and ramp down modes are not necessary. A lot of lights have those features these days, but it's really not something that should make or break a decision.

Unrelated, do you know the width of the tank you posted as inspiration above? Looks like they did a really nice job creating the illusion of depth. Pretty neat tank.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Several Kessils might look nice with that style tank to get that heavy shimmer effect. I can say I've had success with my freshwater SB Reeflights light. It's a Chinese black box at the end of the day, but the thing is a tank, the price was decent, and I don't feel there is a plant I can't grow with it. If you go back in the thread in my signature I believe I had some PAR readings I took. It's a powerful light. A few of those should cover the tank. I do wish I had more control over the spectrum though. The light only has 2 channels and I've definitely noticed the benefit of three channel adjustability that is on the Chihiros Vivid Mini I have on my 45U. And if I recall correctly the AI Vega I have laying around from my last reef tank had like 7 or 8 channels of adjustability. If you have room in the canopy it might be nice to retrofit a couple T5s in there to help even out the color.

One thing I will say is not to get caught up too much on crazy features. Thunderstorm modes are useless. It's a fun novelty for about 2 minutes. And ramp up and ramp down modes are not necessary. A lot of lights have those features these days, but it's really not something that should make or break a decision.

Unrelated, do you know the width of the tank you posted as inspiration above? Looks like they did a really nice job creating the illusion of depth. Pretty neat tank.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is the info on the tank. So Pretty!!!!
Grand Prize (World Ranking No.1)
Title: Forest Scent
Name: Pavel Bautin
Aquarium Tank: W150×D50×H60(cm)

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Started to setup and do a dry fit for the stand with the sump and C02 tank and the FX6. Which was a lot bigger than I had imagined. Holy cow.. So i will be adding a shelf over the middle of the sump for the controller and doser I want to get. In the next few months I will adding Mitras LX7004 - 4 of them. I also am going to be building a new Rex Reactor as the one off the shelf one I purchased is laughable small. I am going to be running the C02 and the UV from the FX6. All other equipment will be in the sump. Ordered some really nice forest log pieces and am going to start piecing together the plumbing and figuring all that out. Have no idea how to yet. more videos and research.

Lighting - Mitras LX7004 - i am keeping the Fluval 3.0 I bought. I have a few other tanks and figured I will use them on it. Hospital tank etc...

Filters - Need to buy PVC and design the plumbing and the media - what chamber will hold what.

Water - Since I have whole house RO - I will have two 55 gallon rain barrels for ATO and auto water changes - I just need to figure out my ferts and how or maybe when i will dose. Daily and then 50% water change once a week. I wanted to do few gallons daily but i need to learn more on water chemistry first. ALSO starting buying the 2L of Seachem ferts - found a cool spreadsheet to show daily dosing for my water volume.

Substrate - wanting to do soil and cap with black blasting sand also will be adding clay to the substrate- I have a design in my mind for hardscape. slowly gathering those parts and pieces.

Fish - ahhhh... well German Rams, Angels, Rainbows, Tetras, corys - and any other fish that will like this temp and PH
Plants - Have to find a good source and research
CO2 - Bought a flow meter and will start attaching the regulator and everything soon. Need to get it filled.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts